oil filter

11 replies to this topic
  • moontana

Posted March 09, 2007 - 03:11 PM

I have a 06 yz450f and was wondering which way do I insert a ready racing oil filter that I bought it is the stainless steel one. It is solid on one side and is open on the other. The open side has a rubber grommet seal I put that end pointing toward the engine and the solid side is pointing or I should say against the oil filter cover. "is this the right way"?:lol: :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I already told you it was backward.

http://www.thumperta...661#post4477661

The closed end goes in, toward the engine. You didn't believe me?

By installing it that way, you will defeat the filter at the least, and at worst, cut off the oil supply to your engine. Turn it around. Now.

• steve_97060

Posted March 09, 2007 - 04:52 PM

isn't there a post on the filter cover for the filter to fit over? not sure how you could install it backwards if one end of the filter is closed...

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Not on the Ready filter there isn't. For some unexplained reason, they made their filter to a non-standard dimension, which apparently requires their filter cover. When they made their cover, they left out the safety post the stock cover has that prevents reversed installation with any other oil filter.

It's a "feature". :applause:

• moontana

Posted March 09, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Greyracer is right guys! he knows what he is talking about or I do anyway. Iam going to take my filter out in the morning and turn it around the way it should be. The rr filter cover does not have a post for your filter to go in and that is what confused me. Thanks greyracer you may have saved me alot of money on motor work!

• moontana

Posted March 10, 2007 - 12:08 PM

turned the filter around this morning now evrthing is a 0k!...
thanks greyracer!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 250Thumpher

Posted March 10, 2007 - 02:32 PM

I already told you it was backward.

http://www.thumperta...661#post4477661

The closed end goes in, toward the engine. You didn't believe me?

By installing it that way, you will defeat the filter at the least, and at worst, cut off the oil supply to your engine. Turn it around. Now.

The dum dum I bought my bike from put the oil filter backwards too.

It doesn't cut off oil supply, but is close to.

I called him up and he said he only did one ride on that oil change, and it must have been a big mistake on his part, since he knows which way it goes...

Looking at the holes of the cover though it does have slightly slightly bigger holes. I just ran a Scotts with the Ready cover...

-Philly

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2007 - 04:04 PM

I just ran a Scotts with the Ready cover...

So, the ready filter element is the same dimensions as the OEM, hmm? Someone said it wouldn't work without it.

My original suspicion the cover was just cheap bling to get people to buy the RR filter, seems confirmed.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 10, 2007 - 05:10 PM

So, the ready filter element is the same dimensions as the OEM, hmm? Someone said it wouldn't work without it.

My original suspicion the cover was just cheap bling to get people to buy the RR filter, seems confirmed.

Yep. The Ready filter even looks the same as the scotts.

The cover may be cheap bling. If the holes are slightly larger like they look to be, the cover may increase oil flow...

I can check on my next oil change, and pull out a caliper for dimentions between the ready and scotts.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2007 - 07:31 PM

If the holes are slightly larger like they look to be, the cover may increase oil flow....

They wont increase oil flow unless the holes in the OEM cover were the smallest point in the oil system, and they weren't.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 10, 2007 - 07:47 PM

They wont increase oil flow unless the holes in the OEM cover were the smallest point in the oil system, and they weren't.

Makes good sense!

Looks like I'm running the stock cover on my next oil change. The alignment tab helps out a lot.

• 250Thumpher

Posted April 02, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Update:

On my last oil change, checked the holes between the stock cover and readty filter cover.

The ready filter cover has smaller holes than the YZF cover...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.