XR rear axle without cotter pin?

4 replies to this topic
  • asf

Posted March 09, 2007 - 11:47 AM

I have a bolt in my spare parts box, it looks near identical to my rear axle bolt. It does not have a cotter pin on it. Did the later XR600r's or 650L's ever come with an axle without that pin?

Reason being I need a hollow axle for axle sliders, my 89 axle is solid :applause:. This new bolt is hollow... Do I run the risk of it backing out without the cotter pin? I ride all street BTW.

• frankiewhipit

Posted March 09, 2007 - 12:24 PM

YES, My '99 XL has a hollow axle with a nylon locknut on it, no cotter pin:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • asf

Posted March 09, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Yay!

Was the nylon locknut stock? I think my oem one is a locknut but the metal type. A little red loctite should be ok no?

• cleonard

Posted March 09, 2007 - 03:02 PM

Yay!

Was the nylon locknut stock? I think my oem one is a locknut but the metal type. A little red loctite should be ok no?

I also have the metal type locknut on my 93 600. Red might be OK on such a large bolt, but I still feel that the blue would be better. I have never used loctite on my rear axle bolt and I have neve had an issue with it comming loose. Just tighten to the proper torque

• frankiewhipit

Posted March 10, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yes The Nylon Is Oem, Loc Tite Would Be Fine, Red Is Stronger

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.