Can you help me gather info on this dual sport kit for my 426?

6 replies to this topic
  • atropine

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This headlight/taillight/brakelight/license plate holder/stator was on my YZ426 when I bought it last year. The guy I bought it from had it on and said the headlight and stator kit were made by Moose racing. He said he used the license plate holder from a KTM? (not sure which one), and added a single mirror and horn to make it street legal in Texas. I didn't really care because I moved to Nevada immediately and I don't need any of this stuff. The stator ended up quitting on me one day, so I put the original YZ stator back in and took off all the dual sport stuff. I'm not sure what is wrong with the stator or if it can be fixed, but I would like to find out a little more info about the stator and headlight kit. I am thinking of just selling this stuff (the stuff that works anyway) and want to get a little more info. I went to Mooseracing.com, but couldn't find anything about one of these kits. Does anyone know anything about these kits? I'm wanting to know if this same kit would fit other years/models, what the stators cost, etc.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Looks like the Electrex USA L38 stator to me... they are known to burn out. You really should resize that pic.. its hard to read the post.

• atropine

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:14 PM

I finally got it to re-size properly. Sorry about that. Are stators just throw-aways once they burn out? No such thing as stator repair?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:27 PM

It looks to me like the kit may have been pieced together by the last owner. The kill switch assy. looks to be made my Baja Designs, the headlight and taillight is likely Acerbis and the regulator is a 12 volt a/c from Moose. To get your stator working again you will have to get it rewound.. but its not really worth it because it will only burn up again. They had problems with those because they took away 2 ignition posts and made them lighting. What happens is the stator overheats and burns up because there is not enough windings.

• norcalmoto

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:51 PM

Atropine, how much is that all costing you? I also have a 426 and considering to create a dualsport out of the hog.

• atropine

Posted March 09, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the help. So it sounds like the stator is worthless, but the rest of the stuff would work on another bike as long as you got the correct stator for your bike, right? Of course, the blue would really only match a Yamaha...

Norcalmoto-
All this stuff was on the bike when I bought it, and the guy told me that it cost him about $800 for all the stuff. Sounds a little expensive to me. I'm sure the stator is probably a couple hundred to replace. I don't ever plan on riding on the road, so I was thinking of selling all this stuff, and asking around $200 for it.

• offroad

Posted March 20, 2007 - 01:21 PM

I'm looking for a kit... the reason it burned up is because you have to put a WR stator on when running a dual sport kit. Anyhow, does your kit have blinkers, battery, etc.. what is missing for NV. laws? I am in Reno.

- Jason
jbaden@microsoft.com if you wanna email me direct.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.