some sprocket advice

6 replies to this topic
  • Express

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Ive got a 06 WR450 that is plated. I dont ride the road very much, just to get to the trail. Sometimes Ill do 20-30 miles of road to get to a ride. My WR is a great bike but Ill never confuse it with a street bike. It feels like Im running the crap out of it on the highway at about 65mph.

Living in the northeast I do alot of tight trail and rocky riding, so alot of slower trail work. Id really like to have a little lower gearing but that bit of road time has prvented me from changing out my sprockets.

For those that have changed out the stock tooth sizes how much of a difference did you really get? Perfect world I wish the WR had a 6 speed tranny but thats not gonna happen. I need a lower 1st, 2nd and a bit of 3rd but want my 4th and 5th to stay where theyre at. I know thats not happening.
Any suggestion on a front/rear combo that would offer a good balance for what Im describing?

• Fullbore4

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:54 PM

I run 13/50 without any trouble on my 06....gives me a little more torque, wears about the same as stock (14/50) and allows me to cruise on highway at 60-65. Granted its not a highway bike by any means but I don't use it for highway much....my 1 cent.

• Island Boy

Posted March 09, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I am probably 70% street and 30% trail on enduro tires with my 07. The bike is totally uncorked and has amazing torque. Almost too much in the lower gears for what I use the bike for. Next week I will be dropping 2 teeth on my rear sprocket to 48 to extend the gears a little and gain some top-end. (I dont expect much of a difference, but I want to experiment anyway). I could have gone lower by 3 or 4 teeth or gone up a tooth on the front but I didn't want to risk losing too much torque. I will report back on any difference, pro's and con's etc. when I am done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muddyken

Posted March 09, 2007 - 01:43 PM

For those that have changed out the stock tooth sizes how much of a difference did you really get? Perfect world I wish the WR had a 6 speed tranny but thats not gonna happen. I need a lower 1st, 2nd and a bit of 3rd but want my 4th and 5th to stay where theyre at. I know thats not happening.
Any suggestion on a front/rear combo that would offer a good balance for what Im describing?[/QUOTE]

you have already got a good balance with the standard sprocket sizes. dont go to making big changes as you will end up way out, i would suggest maybe go up one tooth on the rear and try that.... it worked for me......... you will notice the biggest change if you go up or down a tooth on the front but i think i remember right that one tooth up or down on the front is equal to three on the rear, but i think this is to much change the improvement you are looking for. good luck:ride:

• Express

Posted March 10, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I didnt want to start a sprocket collection trying different combos.
Muddyken did you change out your rear sprocket? If you did what kind of top end drop did you see?

• SID013

Posted March 11, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hiya, I always play around with this gearing calculator to see what effects sprocket changes will make to my speeds in various gears.

http://www.4strokes....earing_calc.xls

Hope it helps.

Cheers from Oz

Peter

• dobbo

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Changed my 06 from 14/50 to 15/50 and much better for top end HWY and still has heaps of grunt for low end. Cheap and same length chain.
Hope this helps.
Richie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.