IS THERE AN ELECTRIC START KIT FOR XR650R's?

16 replies to this topic
  • DABUTCHER

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Selling My Minty 1983 Xl600r Because Of Pain From Kick Starting It. I Want A Xr650r,but Might Have To Settle For A Xr650l Because Of The Injury To My Knee. Is There A Kit To Add An Electric Start To A Xr650r? Thanks Darryl In Minneapolis,mn

• HawkGT

Posted March 08, 2007 - 04:34 PM

Baja Designs makes an easily obtained kit. Looks clunky to me but I hear it works well [shrug]:

Posted Image

If you've got a high budget and lots of time check out XR-Italia for the sweetest electric start XR650R settup I've seen. Don't know much about it other than it looks nearly factory.

Posted Image

• motomonte

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Check out with RC30,the dude with the awesome bike from...Italy.

• drop

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

What an eye sore!

• Thumpage

Posted March 08, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Check this link out: http://www.joeracerproducts.com/
They make the version like in the second photo. They are in San Jose California. It is pricier than the Baja designs version but looks a whole lot nicer and more compact. The Baja Designs design is uuugly.

• HawkGT

Posted March 09, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Check this link out: http://www.joeracerproducts.com/
They make the version like in the second photo. They are in San Jose California. It is pricier than the Baja designs version but looks a whole lot nicer and more compact. The Baja Designs design is uuugly.

Nice!

• MrMike

Posted March 09, 2007 - 09:34 AM

The Baja Designs design is uuugly.

It is ugly but it works for me. I've been thinking of taking off the sticker on the starter as I think it would look better in silver. Pros: it works, the battery is low on the bike so you don't seem to feel the extra weight, works with Acerbis 6.6 tank, and it works. Cons: more wiring, a little weight, not pretty, costs a lot, and you have to modify the battery box if using an Edlebrock carb.
I have mine set up as a dual-sport so the extra weight is not usually a problem. It does exactly what it was designed to do and that is to help out people that have trouble with kick starting a bike. It allows us to be able to ride this great bike. Perfect? No. Works? Yes. Would I like it to look like the Joe Racer one? Yes. Does it look better after you realize that the Joe Racer one is $400 more? Hell yes!
Also remember you will have to get a new stator or rewind your stock one to keep the battery charged. I did run down the battery pretty quick a couple of times before I went to the Edlebrock carb.

• Booshy

Posted March 10, 2007 - 11:40 AM

If you've got a high budget and lots of time check out XR-Italia for the sweetest electric start XR650R settup I've seen. Don't know much about it other than it looks nearly factory.

Posted Image

I need more info on this kit? I looked at the site but its all in Italian of course. Can I get a direct link please?:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted March 10, 2007 - 04:27 PM

I need more info on this kit? I looked at the site but its all in Italian of course. Can I get a direct link please?:applause:

I fixed my busted link. But yes, it's all in Italian.

• Booshy

Posted March 10, 2007 - 09:40 PM

I have searched that XR Italia site high and low and I cant find the link or info for that starter kit. Anyone help?:applause:

• Thumpage

Posted March 11, 2007 - 12:09 PM

look at the link I posted previously. It is a very similar, almost identical design to the XR italia. Joe Racer is based in California so it might be easier overall than buying and shipping from over seas.
As ugly as the Baja Designs unit is, it may be a better performing unit because of the shear size of the starter. But then again, if the smaller units have some sort of gear setup with a ratio that allows them to spin the motor easily then all bets are off on that idea. It might be time to do a search on this subject to find out the mechanical differences of the starters and not just go by which looks best.

• pgiinc

Posted March 11, 2007 - 01:12 PM

here it is you can't buy it you must take your bike to the dealer in Italy
http://www.dallaraho...com/kit_avv.htm

• flubber

Posted March 11, 2007 - 02:13 PM

xr-italia in english

http://translate.goo...com/&hl=en&sa=G

• RC30

Posted March 11, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Ciao, here I am.

I have tried to intercede for pgiink with Mr. Dall’Ara about to sale the e-start in USA, but Mr. Dall’Ara has answered me that they don’t send it in no place, to buy it is necessary to send to them the bike which they will arrange to mount it.

They are in Italy………….

Sorry

Rather, you can try to contact SP racing team, also they produce a pretty e-start and I think that they can also sell it in USA

http://www.spracing....t demarreur.htm

They are Swiss.

Piero

• MotorPsychoSport

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:58 PM

It is ugly but it works for me. I've been thinking of taking off the sticker on the starter as I think it would look better in silver. Pros: it works, the battery is low on the bike so you don't seem to feel the extra weight, works with Acerbis 6.6 tank, and it works. Cons: more wiring, a little weight, not pretty, costs a lot, and you have to modify the battery box if using an Edlebrock carb.
I have mine set up as a dual-sport so the extra weight is not usually a problem. It does exactly what it was designed to do and that is to help out people that have trouble with kick starting a bike. It allows us to be able to ride this great bike. Perfect? No. Works? Yes. Would I like it to look like the Joe Racer one? Yes. Does it look better after you realize that the Joe Racer one is $400 more? Hell yes!
Also remember you will have to get a new stator or rewind your stock one to keep the battery charged. I did run down the battery pretty quick a couple of times before I went to the Edlebrock carb.

I got my Baja E-start kit when they first came out. when they changed to the current design of the whole kit I thought I was going to have a problem with the battery placement and my EB carb but all I did was rotate the carb just a hair to clear the battery by a few millimeters. It has been working perfectly ever since with no modifications to the battery box at all. :applause: I am also still using the orginal YTZ7S battery, invest in a battery tender jr they are worth it. :lol:

• rascal

Posted April 05, 2009 - 02:33 AM

im looking to buy one of these kits any way to translate the italian website????

• WR TOM

Posted April 05, 2009 - 09:37 AM

JoeRacer doesn't have any & was quite annoyed that I called before 8:00. A real A-Hole. I think BajaDesigns quit making them, soooo I bought an L?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.