My 06 450 is having a hard time.....

17 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:32 PM

My 06 is having a hard time going into neutral? It wont come out of gear or anything like that just takes me 5 mins to get in neutral . like going up from 1st is hard as hell. Is this my friction plates? If so which ones should I go with?

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:47 PM

If this happens mostly when stopped with the engine running, and shifts OK otherwise, it's a clutch drag issue.

The common causes of a clutch not releasing completely are improper adjustment, worn, especially warped, clutch plates, uneven clutch springs, and a badly notched basket or boss (hub).

• kawirider

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:52 PM

If this happens mostly when stopped with the engine running, and shifts OK otherwise, it's a clutch drag issue.

The common causes of a clutch not releasing completely are improper adjustment, worn, especially warped, clutch plates, uneven clutch springs, and a badly notched basket or boss (hub).

grayracer never ceases to amaze me :applause:

• StPeters21

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I seem to have the same issue. Mine was that way from the factory. Switching oils helped a bit, but still isn't as easy as it should be. BTW, I use Amsoil now.

• matts06yzf

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:09 PM

i use amsoil also, Should I just buy the whole kid from say barnett and replace them or whats my best solution here?

• StPeters21

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Pull the clutch apart and see whats bad. Then replace whats messed up. Stock friction plates are good and cheaper/better than most aftermarket clutches. As far as the basket goes... you can file down the groves or replace with an aftermarket basket.

• StPeters21

Posted March 15, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Is anyone using the GYTR clutch kit? And whats there thoughts on it.

Chad

• Ga426owner

Posted March 15, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Is anyone using the GYTR clutch kit? And whats there thoughts on it.

Chad

awesome choice...it is on my 03 with full hinson hardware

Matt have you adjusted the clutch cable (free play)yet????

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I have the same clutch as Ga does. It's been in the bike for all of the 3.8 years I've had it, and it's been completely perfect the entire time. You know that except for the arm that's included for the '03, and the boss spring, it's Hinson stuff, right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StPeters21

Posted March 15, 2007 - 03:51 PM

My stock one fades rather quickly. I tend to feather the clutch. I know that I'm not supposed to, but I do. I usually go through 1 a year. And I was wondering how the GYTR handles abuse. Or should I just stick with the stock fibers???

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Mine takes everything I can give it and never whimpers. I run a 15/49 almost everywhere, and that means when ever it gets tight or slow, I'm on the clutch lever. Not really a steady diet of that kind of stuff, but it's significant when it comes up, and the clutch is 4 years old. I'm impressed with it.

• StPeters21

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thats awesome!!!! Do you have it on your '06 also? And I might have missed it, but did you pair it with a Hinson basket?

Thanks for the feedback Chad

• Ga426owner

Posted March 15, 2007 - 04:39 PM

I have the same clutch as Ga does. It's been in the bike for all of the 3.8 years I've had it, and it's been completely perfect the entire time. You know that except for the arm that's included for the '03, and the boss spring, it's Hinson stuff, right?

it is in my 03...and this clutch is so much better than my stock new 06 clutch...it is ridiculous....engagement points, starts everything...it works so much better than a stock clutch....but it does cost....full hinson with GYTR...over 1000.00....but it is worth it to me.

I will put this in my 06 when it is time for a new clutch:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thats awesome!!!! Do you have it on your '06 also? And I might have missed it, but did you pair it with a Hinson basket?

Thanks for the feedback Chad

Same as the Georgia guy, 100% full Hinson. The GYT-R clutch hardware is Hinson stuff, too, and costs significantly less, so shop some of that.

Don't have it on the '06....yet.

• StPeters21

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Same as the Georgia guy, 100% full Hinson. The GYT-R clutch hardware is Hinson stuff, too, and costs significantly less, so shop some of that.

Don't have it on the '06....yet.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it :applause:

:eek: :lol: :lol:

Chad

• howard27

Posted March 15, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Part number 2S2-18140-00. This went out on my 06. It sits behind the clutch basket and indexes the shift drum. the job is 30 minutes. the part it $13.00 use a magnet and make sure all broken parts are recovered and accounted for.

• toofast2

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Matt,mine does the same thing,and its brand new!,first,make sure you cable
has the right amount of "Play"in it,second,(if it's new) give it a chance to break in,let all the internal parts get the proper "Polish "to them...if it's
been"Used"...take Gray's advice...IMO,I believe they design the shifter drum
notches to be very close between 1st and 2nd,so the neutral notch is rather
small,to avoid a false neutral upon upshift...but I'm assuming that because
I never had one in my hand to inspect..ED

• eazrider

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Finding neutral, while stopped, engine running, is a common problem....put it in neutral as you coast to a stop, or shut the motor off, rock the bike back and forth to find neutral......Neutral 101 class is over....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.