Tank repair?

13 replies to this topic
  • SmallMonkey

Posted March 08, 2007 - 11:17 AM

Hey all...
I just developed a hairline crack in my tank. It's a really slow leak, but I still want to fix it (duh :applause: )

I've tried soldering (melting) the crack back together, epoxy, hot glue, etc....nothing seems to work.
Any ideas?
Thanks

• SXP

Posted March 08, 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hey all...
I just developed a hairline crack in my tank. It's a really slow leak, but I still want to fix it (duh :applause: )

I've tried soldering (melting) the crack back together, epoxy, hot glue, etc....nothing seems to work.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Which bike (not that it matters, I'm just curious)?

• Anchslayer

Posted March 08, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Try this stuff, its pretty cheap and has worked for me on all kinds of materials. Just clean and scuff the surface really well.

http://www.marinetex.com/

• DEMI

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:01 PM

try Seal All,good stuff and cheap,available at places like Auto Zone,it works well.

• AnimalDan

Posted March 08, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hey all...

Any ideas?
Thanks

I never found anything that would last more than a month without developing back to at least a slow ooze.

• SmallMonkey

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Which bike (not that it matters, I'm just curious)?

wow thanks for the help!! :applause: :lol:
It's an '03 WR450(street legal Motard in Cali)

Anch, Demi...I'll try those and report back. Thanks!

• ncampion

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Good opportunity to put on a larger tank so you can really do some riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted March 08, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I have used JB weld on a plastic tank and it is still good after about three years. Scuff it, clean it and JB weld it.

• Derek00

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:19 PM

I used to do some kayaking. The guys at the kayak shop would regularly do what they called "plastic welding" for holes in ABS plastic boats. I have no idea what this entails but you may want to run a search or check a local kayak shop.

• SXP

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:34 PM

wow thanks for the help!! :applause: :lol:
It's an '03 WR450(street legal Motard in Cali)

I have a a spare tank I was going to let you have, but it won't fit your bike. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.

• SmallMonkey

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:39 PM

I have a a spare tank I was going to let you have, but it won't fit your bike. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.

no worries....thanks for the offer- very cool. :applause:

• SmallMonkey

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thry this!! it works!! :naughty:

http://www.itwconsum....aspx?prodID=52 :bonk:

• boomman

Posted March 27, 2007 - 08:44 PM

You are up the creek. Nothing is going to work like you want it to. There is no epoxy that will stick to plastic gas tanks. I've tried them all and they won't work. I talked to plastic experts and they say the same thing. Plastic welding might work but it'll look bad. Time to by a new tank.

• GCannon

Posted March 28, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Read This
http://www.thumperta...acked fuel tank

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.