Heat shield tape

7 replies to this topic
  • Rangerfng

Posted March 08, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hey guys.

:applause: I was thinking about wrapping my pipes with heat shield tape. they make all sorts of colors now. anyone have any thoughts on it. It is also suspose to improve performance by not letting the heat escape the pipe until it reaches the muffler. here it is if you interested http://www.yogisinc....28/brand128.htm

• rebelventurer

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys.

:applause: I was thinking about wrapping my pipes with heat shield tape. they make all sorts of colors now. anyone have any thoughts on it. It is also suspose to improve performance by not letting the heat escape the pipe until it reaches the muffler. here it is if you interested http://www.yogisinc....28/brand128.htm

I do not believe this tape is intended as an exhaust wrap. Its more for electrical, fuel, brake, oil, or coolant lines. Not rated for the temps that an exhaust generates. Cool stuff though!
Oh, welcome to TT.

• porterdog

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:39 PM

This is for exhausts.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 09, 2007 - 10:54 AM

A side effect of exhaust wrap worth consdering is increased likelihood of cracking the header. It increases thermal loading on the exhaust. Mild steel headers are most vulnerable due to high temp oxidation and erosion, stainless less so.

The wrap will also absorb mud, oil, and general dirt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted March 10, 2007 - 10:30 AM

That's why I haven't wrapped my header. I will, however wrap the collector up where it keeps melting my gloves when I lift the bike onto a stand.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 10, 2007 - 11:32 AM

You lift your bike? Dang!

• hypersthenos

Posted March 10, 2007 - 11:45 PM

Yep. Some times I tie it to my chest hairs to lift it if I've got blisters.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 10, 2007 - 11:49 PM

Wow, that's almost as manly as when I lift my bike with my.......eh.....nevermind. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.