Dual purpose tail-light for XR600?

12 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted March 08, 2007 - 08:58 AM

I want to make my XR600 street legal, and am interested in a good tail light conversion. Does anyone know for sure if the XR650L light and housing will bolt right on to the XR600? From the microfiche drawings it is hard to tell.

Also would appreciate any other recommendations for an aftermarket unit. I see that Acerbis makes one (not sure from their ad if it includes the license plate light that is required in AZ). Baja Designs also make an undermout unit that is LED based. Anyone used these brands or any others?

• cleonard

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:47 AM

If I remember correctly the 650L has some more metal framework under the rear fender that the light and plate assembly bolts to. This framework is not on the 600.

• cbaranski

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Acerbis has a nice set up that will be sweet and bolt to your exsisting tail light. And it even looks like the factory light.

• hypersthenos

Posted March 08, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Kill 2 birds with one stone & get the Baja Designs LED setup. It draws the less wattage & has a mount for your license plate which will be illuminated by the tail light (I got pulled over for having my license plate mounted to the top of the fender & not having it illuminated). The plastic is pretty stout & the wiring is simple. I just put one on my plated XR650R & it looks great & is plenty bright. I did remove the LED unit & silicone the back of it around the seal & the wires to prevent water/dust intrusion prior to installation. You can trim the plastic to fit & it comes with stainless fasteners & instructions for the wiring. If you ever damage the LED setup you can order it separate from Baja Designs or you can even order the same assembly from JP cycle for about $20.

• LeadDoggy

Posted March 09, 2007 - 07:49 AM

The XR650L light is a huge massive and bulky component. I have the Acerbis top fender light that came with my Baja Designs kit. Can't install my billet rear fender rack because of clearance problems. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an under the fender setup.

It does look like the plate mount is on both, but I'd go with the Acerbis

• exaresix

Posted March 09, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the good replies. I think I'm going with the Acerbis top-mount light. I think they call that their dual sport light? I'm hoping it will bolt into the same well that the stock light sits in.

Posted Image

The undermount lights look like they have two drawbacks: 1. It appears you will be drilling at least three holes in your stock fender. and 2. You now have a redundant stock light on top that probably needs to be disconnected to save power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRidiculous

Posted March 11, 2007 - 06:48 AM

exaresix,

Here's a photo of the Polisport rear fender from XRSOnly, a rear fender brace by acerbis, and an Edge Taillight assembly and Turn Signals from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

The setup seems to be working well, and the taillight will not burn out now.

http://farm1.static....d412a2e00_b.jpg

• bork

Posted March 11, 2007 - 08:37 AM

exaresix,

Here's a photo of the Polisport rear fender from XRSOnly, a rear fender brace by acerbis, and an Edge Taillight assembly and Turn Signals from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

The setup seems to be working well, and the taillight will not burn out now.

http://farm1.static....d412a2e00_b.jpg

That looks decent. I could not find the rear fender brace in the acerbis listing.
This is what I used http://www.thumperta...30&page=1&pp=10.

• exaresix

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Just an FYI, I now know that the xr650l tail light assembly will bolt up directly to the xr600r fender. The square recessed area is the same on each fender. As large and heavy as this piece is, I see it as the nicest way to convert over to a brakelight/license plate light/license plate bracket that most states require for street legal. It is a bit pricey.

• rmhrc630

Posted April 12, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Just an FYI, I now know that the xr650l tail light assembly will bolt up directly to the xr600r fender. The square recessed area is the same on each fender. As large and heavy as this piece is, I see it as the nicest way to convert over to a brakelight/license plate light/license plate bracket that most states require for street legal. It is a bit pricey.

XR6 you are correct - it does fit. In Australia XR600s were road legal and came with a similiar but not idential rear tail light assemmbly to the XR650L.

They also casme with the steel subframe extender that you guys get on your XR650L.

Believe it or not the 650L rear taillight assembly is slightly smaller than the XR600R version (Aussie road legal version that is)

As the 650L rear taillight is slighlty smaller and possibly lighter than the XR600 version then you should not need the rear subframe extender to suport the weight.

• exaresix

Posted April 12, 2007 - 03:13 PM

I wonder if that rear subframe assembly would bolt right up to the US version xr600r?

I think this photo is an Aussie xr600r.

Posted Image

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:10 PM

Yes, its the same one that comes on the XR650L here in the US.

• exaresix

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Great, I ordered one...lets hope it mates up with my US xr600r.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.