Frame guard for '07 YZF450?

8 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted March 08, 2007 - 04:22 AM

I recently read in one of the magazines that there is a vulnerable oil line on the '07 YZF450 and that some manufacturer offers a $50 guard that bolts onto the frame.

Does anyone know about this? I remember the add saying that its a must have because during the mags testing they ruptured the line and started leaking oil.

Is there any truth to this or can I leave the $50 in my Dr.D Exhaust savings account? :applause:

• Mfinazzo

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Why take the chance. I to saw the same article and order a guard from 07 YZ450.

• Mfinazzo

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:13 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

Heres the link

• TBone_Boston

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the link.

BTW - I found one offered by Light Speed (on motosport.com). Can I assume this one is 'bolt on' ready (as I assume the GYTR is)?

I have a 25 coupon for motosport so I'd like to buy it there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I use a carbon fiber works guard on both of my bikes. I didn't like how the oil line still goes above all of the guards you can buy, so I made another guard out of carbon fiber that protects all the way up to the pipe. The pic is a little blurry because I took it on my phone.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:44 AM

Bear in mind: That oil line is a pressure balance vent between the crankcase and the oil tank. While it would make a bit of a mess if it were opened, it carries no oil, other than vapors and spill over, and is not terribly critical. If you spend a lot of time plowing through brush, it would be worthwhile to protect it, though.

Actually, I think that there's been far fewer of these vent lines damaged than there have dipsticks broken off by stones and such.

• TBone_Boston

Posted March 08, 2007 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the comment grey. It defintely helps put things into perspective.

-Tony

• Ga426owner

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have the GYTR guard and it works great and looks trick :applause:

• jay yz-f

Posted March 09, 2007 - 02:44 PM

how about these ?? tall frame guards

http://www.pro-carbo...YZF 06 tall.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.