Dang! '83 XL600R content:

3 replies to this topic
  • Timmerz

Posted March 07, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Riding my restored '83 XL600R to work yesterday morning, went to pull into a gas station about 5 minutes from my home, noticed the left directional was blinking 'way too fast, thought I might have burned the back bulb out, so tried the right blinkers once I got into the parking lot, same thing, super-fast blinking....I thought that was pretty strange, but didn't know what to make of it, so I turned off the ignition, to start filling it up with gas, and smaelled burning insulation....but couldn't tell where it was coming from....turned the ignition key on and no longer have a neutral light or turn signals, in fact no juice whatsoever....the fuse at the battery is fine, even changed it out to be sure...
Anybody ever experience this type of thing?

• cleonard

Posted March 07, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Get a voltmeter and make sure that the voltage is good when the engine is running. Then look for wires with worn through insulation. Check the bulbs. If they are burned out, I bet the voltage regulator is not doing it's job and the voltage is getting too high. It could just be bad connections.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Timmerz

Posted March 07, 2007 - 09:54 PM

Get a voltmeter and make sure that the voltage is good when the engine is running. Then look for wires with worn through insulation. Check the bulbs. If they are burned out, I bet the voltage regulator is not doing it's job and the voltage is getting too high. It could just be bad connections.

Cannot start bike.....got no juice whatsoever anywhere on the bike...the hot lead from the battery is hot (tested) but no juice at the key. All bulbs worked fine prior to problem....
Going to pull the numberplate and headlight off and see if anything obvious looks awry there first...then pull tank and seat off and be looking for bare wire somewhere in the vicinity of frame...any other ideas?
Thanks!
Tim

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 07, 2007 - 10:26 PM

The bike will run without the battery, so even if it was dead, it wouldnt matter. So, what youve got is power to ground somewhere.

You've just got to find the short to ground. Pull the tank, headlight and seat/side panels.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.