Help I messed up my drain plug

1 reply to this topic
  • SteveWR450F

Posted March 07, 2007 - 04:00 PM

Been using a magnetic drain plug for a couple years now. Last Saturday, I was not paying enough attention - in a hurry and changing oil on two bikes - and I cross threaded the bolt on the first few threads.

The plug seals just fine and works good once you get past the few rows of bad threads but . . . I am wondering the best way to fix

1. No metal was on my magnetic tip.
2. I flushed the bikes with lots of oil to hopefully get out any metal shavings.

Now, I am wondering should I try to run a tap thru it to straighten the threads and then flush more oil.

What would the dealer do? Remove the engine. Retap and open up the oil pan area to completely clean it out. How difficult and expensive would that be?

I know I f___ed up. Dont normally make stupid mistakes - now what do I do. Leave it alone, run a tap or remove the engine and do it the right way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:48 AM

It's not as bad as you think. run a tap and flush. should be fine.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.