Help..Pipe swap on a budget?

5 replies to this topic
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted March 07, 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hello, I have an 03 WR 450 with a GYTR tip in the stock exhaust.I was trying to take the end cap bolts off when they broke so now I'm thinking about replacing the heavy stainless stocker.In the interest of saving some cash I was wondering if any one thinks the YZ pipe with a PMB insert is a good idea.Has anyone done this swap and/or know what other year pipes will fit this.Thanks!

• trailordune

Posted March 07, 2007 - 08:14 PM

A used yz pipe can be found cheap but a PMB insert is not and this combo is going to be loud. A nice new slip on would be my choice. Something quiet, there's plenty of choices. I personally have an FMF ti powercore that I really like. $269 from Rocky Mountain + like $15 for the quiet core. Do a search, you'll find lots of info.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 07, 2007 - 11:30 PM

The YZ pipe that fits your bike (03-05) are LOUD. IIRC they are about 103-105db and 99-101db with the PMB silent insert.

A TI powercore with the silent insert sounds like the ticket for you. Dirtrider tested that setup on an 06 and it blew 95 and change and I think I remember SC's tested at 98 db. Its in the ballpark I say go for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:10 AM

I've got a YZ pipe with a DRD SA endcap; no quiet insert. The required re-jetting tells me there is more power, and it's not any louder than the uncorked WR pipe. At lower RPM it's actually quieter than the WR pipe. At higher RPM I wouldn't say it's any louder or quieter, just a different sound; less "ringy".

• woodsk

Posted March 08, 2007 - 09:29 AM

The original Q has been discontinued so there are several places that are selling them as close outs. I just picked one up from BTO for 220.00 for my '00 400

• dirty jim

Posted March 11, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hello, I have an 03 WR 450 with a GYTR tip in the stock exhaust.I was trying to take the end cap bolts off when they broke so now I'm thinking about replacing the heavy stainless stocker.In the interest of saving some cash I was wondering if any one thinks the YZ pipe with a PMB insert is a good idea.Has anyone done this swap and/or know what other year pipes will fit this.Thanks!

Yes, same thing happend to me. I looked at lot of slippons.
But the ti powercore is a very good pipe ( fore that price you can't loose)
It lowers the central mass and is stealthy.
I now can here other bikes behind me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.