Rekluse Clearance?

10 replies to this topic
  • TexN343

Posted March 06, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Is it better to be on the low end or higher end of the specs. I replaced the friction plates after the clutch wearing down until you couldn't go until about half throttle. I installed the new friction plates with all the same steel spacers as I did with the initial install but the gap was far to wide. After replacing some steel spacers I got the gap to be about .035 and was wondering if it's good enough. This is for an 04 yz450. Some of the steel plates were blue. What does the blueing mean? I was using 20w50 rotella t oil.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted March 07, 2007 - 04:11 AM

The blue just comes from heat ... Excessive slippage was likely the cause ...

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2007 - 07:56 AM

Throw your blue plates away and get some new ones. If they got hot enough to turn blue there warped. Warped plates will throw off your installed gap, and you'll burn up another set of fibers.

• TexN343

Posted March 07, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Where am I supposed to get new plates? Rekluse sent gave me extra ones but if I use all of those it messes up the gap. Which side of the clearance should I be closer to? The tighter or looser end?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted March 07, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Where am I supposed to get new plates? Rekluse sent gave me extra ones but if I use all of those it messes up the gap. Which side of the clearance should I be closer to? The tighter or looser end?

New plates would come from Rekluse. I run mine as close to the tight side of the tolerance as I can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 07, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Rekluse sells a variety of plates, give them a call and tell them which ones your need. The gap depends a lot on your riding style. Some like a larger gap, some like it tight. I run mine right on the tight end of the spec. The tighter it is the less slip you'll get, and your plates will live longer.

• TexN343

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:27 PM

OK after breaking it in like it says I still get the.035 reading. Will this be Ok or should I switch out for a thicker plate? I want these friction plates to last. When I first start the bike it takes a little more throttle to move the bike but after it warms up feels like greased lightning. Should any steel plates be stacked on each other or should a friction plate be between them all?

• kxman

Posted March 08, 2007 - 06:15 PM

On my install there were 2 steel plates stacked on top of each other. That is what the directions called for.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 08, 2007 - 10:20 PM

New plates would come from Rekluse. I run mine as close to the tight side of the tolerance as I can.

Me too. I have found that the Rekluse seems to stay in spec much longer this way too. :applause:

• Pezman04wrx

Posted March 09, 2007 - 05:08 AM

When I first start the bike it takes a little more throttle to move the bike but after it warms up feels like greased lightning. Should any steel plates be stacked on each other or should a friction plate be between them all?

All that sounds like it's slipping a whole lot more then it should be, unless "Greased lightning" is a good thing ... If it is slipping excessively, I'd go here and be positive that everything is correct assembly wise ...

http://www.rekluse.c...-272_120605.pdf

• torqueme

Posted March 09, 2007 - 09:45 AM

On my install there were 2 steel plates stacked on top of each other. That is what the directions called for.

This is how i set mine up also - as per rekluse's instructions. also set mine as tight as i could & have experienced no problems at all.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.