XR650R swingarm advice needed

5 replies to this topic
  • Docmarkw

Posted March 06, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I have my bike (650R)torn down and have the swingarm completely disassembled. I was talking to a local shop owner and he suggested I silicone all the holes in the swingarm to keep water out. I have also read on here somewhere that some of you guys have drilled and tapped small holes with a bolts in the bottom of the swingarm legs to allow water out if needed.

I'm trying to figure out where exactly you drilled the holes. It looks as if the end section where the axle goes through fits in the end caps of the swingarm leg and welded. I would like to drill my holes just in front of the weld, but not sure if that end cap section is a solid block of aluminum. Has anyone done this to their 650R? Please share your experiences and if it has helped.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 06, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I personally am not going to drill any holes. That creates streess points where it was not otherwise designed for them. I like the silicone idea better, or maybe even filling the swinger with expanding foam of sorts like they do to protect some cars from rusting from the inside out.

• Docmarkw

Posted March 06, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I thought the same thing about the stress points at first, but the holes would be minimal in size and tapped for either a 6mm bolt or smaller so I dont believe it would jeapordize the strength of the swingarm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted March 06, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Drilled em in front of the welds(pivot side)at the chain adjusters. This is where water would stand at the lowest point.I had washed my bike the day before and when I drilled the holes a small river flowed out.I drilled an 1/8" hole in each leg.

• porterdog

Posted March 06, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thread with pictures:

You're not going to be able to keep the water out; better to give it a place to go.

• Docmarkw

Posted March 06, 2007 - 09:46 PM

Perfect, thanks guys I knew I read something about it, just couldn't remember where. Yea I know try the search button.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.