Tire combo suggestions

19 replies to this topic
  • fetz518

Posted March 06, 2007 - 06:15 PM

I'd like to hear some suggestions (and reasons) on what tire combo I should be running for trail riding (stumps, mud, fairly large rocks, hard pack dirt).

I've never had to order bike tires before, so i'm fairly hesitant on which ones I should get. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 642MX

Posted March 06, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Your going to get a million different opinions on this.

I ride in similiar conditions and use Pirelli Scorpion Pro front tire (aka MT83) and the Pirelli Scorpion Hard (aka MXH) rear tire.

I used to be a big Dunlop 952 fan, but these Pirelli's really do out perform the Dunlop and last just as long.

They aren't cheap, but worth the money IMO.

• TGP417

Posted March 06, 2007 - 06:34 PM

I say Michelin MH series...There tought and for an "mixt and hard" terrain...they are not too bad in sandy or muddy condition.

• KJ790

Posted March 06, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Michelin MH3 front and rear, best combo money can buy!

• jefe

Posted March 06, 2007 - 07:52 PM

I just tried the Pirelli Scorpion 454's for the first time this weekend and I'm very happy with the change from the Dunlopes.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 06, 2007 - 08:20 PM

The Kenda Carlsbad is a good tire... hooks up good, lasts decent and you can't beat the price.

• kyle450rider

Posted March 07, 2007 - 12:34 AM

The Kenda Carlsbad is a good tire... hooks up good, lasts decent and you can't beat the price.

I had a set of the Kenda Milville Sticky tires and thought that for the price they were as good or better than some of the other brands i've tried.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2007 - 08:36 AM

There are three reasons I run the Dunlop 952 rear tire. One is that it works very well, hooks up good in the wide variety of soils that make up SoCal, and corners far better than the tires I have been using.

Another is that they also wear exceptionally well, as well, in fact as the best I've had on the bike, and it continues to perform well even in a well worn condition.

The last is price. This is probably a local phenomena, though, as the dealer I buy them from buys them in bulk lots and sells them for $50 each. Overall, it's unbeatable. I'm not familiar with Ohio soils, though, so....

On the front, I like the 952, or the Bridgestone M401. I'm now trying out a D745, a new Dunlop issue designed to replace the 739, and supposed to perform better in a much wider range of soil types than the 739. So far, I like it, but I've only had it out on one short desert ride.

• matts06yzf

Posted March 07, 2007 - 04:15 PM

im with gray. I just went from Mich starcross to the 952 front and rear and my cofidence went up. I like the Mich but went it was slick out I didnt. The 952 is probably the best all around tire I have ever owned. Play with the pressure depending on conditions and it just hooks up everywhere. It will spin when u need it to spend or grab and wheelie when need be. Im in Love

• ____Kurt____

Posted March 07, 2007 - 05:46 PM

im going to order a set of Kenda carlsbad's. for $53 for a 120/90-19 and $42 for a 80/100-21. im only 15 and don't have a job (as of right now) and thats the best deal so far that i can find. i hear that they are really durable and good tires. there super cheap too :applause:
im looking now, im not sure what ot get, the milleville's or the carlsbad's????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted March 07, 2007 - 06:57 PM

I second the Pirelli's.

I run the Scorpion Pro up front, with a pirelli MT-16 on the rear. This combo has worked very well on Hardpack, dirt/sand mixture, pure sand, rocks, and shale.

I don't ride too much mud, so I can't give an opinion on it's performance.

• Duster2

Posted March 08, 2007 - 01:05 PM

There are three reasons I run the Dunlop 952 rear tire. One is that it works very well, hooks up good in the wide variety of soils that make up SoCal, and corners far better than the tires I have been using.

Another is that they also wear exceptionally well, as well, in fact as the best I've had on the bike, and it continues to perform well even in a well worn condition.

The last is price. This is probably a local phenomena, though, as the dealer I buy them from buys them in bulk lots and sells them for $50 each. Overall, it's unbeatable. I'm not familiar with Ohio soils, though, so....

On the front, I like the 952, or the Bridgestone M401. I'm now trying out a D745, a new Dunlop issue designed to replace the 739, and supposed to perform better in a much wider range of soil types than the 739. So far, I like it, but I've only had it out on one short desert ride.

grayracer, you got to tell me where you get a 952 in so cal for that price!!! I wan't one, I wan't one:applause: :applause:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted March 08, 2007 - 01:30 PM

grayracer, you got to tell me where you get a 952 in so cal for that price!!! I wan't one, I wan't one:applause: :lol:

A couple of the dealers around here also sell any Dunlop for $50.00 :applause:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 08, 2007 - 10:36 PM

I like, actually I love the IRC VE series tires. I have tried lots of tires for the mixed terrain I find myself riding and so far nothing has come close to performing as well in ALL the terrain like the IRCs. I have been very impressed with how long they last as well and they are priced very reasonably. I run the 33 and the 35.
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=769

• WFOracer

Posted March 09, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Your going to get a million different opinions on this.

I ride in similiar conditions and use Pirelli Scorpion Pro front tire (aka MT83) and the Pirelli Scorpion Hard (aka MXH) rear tire.

I used to be a big Dunlop 952 fan, but these Pirelli's really do out perform the Dunlop and last just as long.

They aren't cheap, but worth the money IMO.

Me too! Never tried pirelli

• flintlock28

Posted March 11, 2007 - 05:48 AM

The Maxxis IT does wear like Iron, but it doesn't grip as well as a lot of other tires out there, plus the Maxxis's have gone up in price.

As I wrote in a post or two above, I'm having great success with the Pirelli Scorpion Pro for the front, and the Pirelli MT-16 for the rear. Everything from hardpack, Shale, Dirt/sand mixture, sand, and Rocks.

THis combo was recommended by Dwight Rudder the Off-road moderator and National Enduro Champ, so I think he knows what he's talking about.

• NorCal

Posted March 11, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I had a Pirelli front tire (can't remember the exact one). I found that tire to be junk. It didn't hold up at all. In fact, by the time I replaced it, the knobs on the side completely fell off.

I put a Maxxis IT up front. That seems to do well and holding up great.

As for the rear, I'm a Starcross MH3 type guy. It is relatively light weight, hooks up great, and wears like nails. Unfortunately, it is a little pricey but worth it.

• hutcher

Posted March 18, 2007 - 03:50 PM

I just put a set of the Maxxis ITs on my 04 450F and I LOVE them, Riding mostly on hardpack or intermediate terrain here in Central Calif and they really hold the track well. Everyone says how well they last so I'm waiting to see how they hold up in the desert this winter. Price on them was certainly OK with me too - Hit the Cycle Gear 15% off sale and bought the pair for $87!

• 426_kid

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:01 AM

perelli M32 tire is the best, never had a problem wears nicely and it hooks no prob.

• bg10459

Posted March 19, 2007 - 05:52 AM

I like the MT16 up front in all but the slickest mud. I'm trying the MT83 Scoprion Pro for the spring this year. I did not like the D739 at all.
I don't like the Maxxis IT rear because it's horrible in the mud; only marginally better than the worn D739 it replaced. It does wear very well and I will continue to use it for dual sport events, but I've got an MT16 rear that will go on for racing and all other riding.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.