Quick Auto Decompresser Question

41 replies to this topic
  • TheRainMan

Posted March 09, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Rainman:
Wicked. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the cam? And did you install it yourself? If so, any difficulties?

The CAM was around $175 and another $20 for the shims.....I had a dealer do it since I wasn't in the mood to do it myself. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic (now i'm a cop) and sometimes it's nice to let someone else to the work!

• creeker

Posted March 19, 2007 - 11:51 AM

The CAM was around $175 and another $20 for the shims.....I had a dealer do it since I wasn't in the mood to do it myself. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic (now i'm a cop) and sometimes it's nice to let someone else to the work!

If you don't mind... how much did the dealer charge to install?

• tc66nova

Posted March 19, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Using a 450 cam in conjunction with the other 426 sprockets will mean wearing out your cam sprockets and/or chain.

B.S. I have hundreds of hours on mine with NO detectable wear and several others on this board have more hours, miles, and races than you can count with out any problems.

• creeker

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:16 PM

When doing this mod, would you go ahead and replace the cam chain as well? If so, I assume you would go with the stock 426 chain, correct?

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2007 - 03:26 PM

First, yes, if the chain has not been replaced in over a year or so, replace it.

Second, there is no option to use anything other than the 426 chain, since the 450 chain is significantly shorter (something like 15+mm). Besides, the pitch difference, which doesn't amount to much running over a quarter of the fairly large cam gears, would be a problem for the smaller, faster turning crank gear.

• axman2292

Posted March 26, 2007 - 04:14 PM

did you install the cam yourself or have the shop do it

• Butta

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:58 PM

This is an easy mod to install. Save yourself the $ and buy from the TT store. The only thing you'll need your dealer for is the exchange of the shims, once you find out what size you need (IF they exchange them for you, otherwise you'll be having to buy them).

Honestly, you're looking at a 2 hour job max if you take your time. Follow the links Grey has for the cam mod and you'll be set.....piece of cake. (and you can pocket the extra dough!)

• TheRainMan

Posted April 12, 2007 - 01:59 PM

If you don't mind... how much did the dealer charge to install?

It was around $150 to have the dealer do it, it's not a hard MOD I just didn't feel like doing myself...

• creeker

Posted April 13, 2007 - 02:54 AM

It was around $150 to have the dealer do it, it's not a hard MOD I just didn't feel like doing myself...

I guess I will try and do it myself... is the chain hard to change out? I heard it was really easy in some of the threads and then I read an article in Dirtrider, I believe it was, and it sound like you had to have an ignition puller and everything just to change the cam chain.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:46 AM

You do need a flywheel puller, but they're cheap, and readily available.

http://www.thumperta...994#post3024994

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jrny426

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:34 AM

TT and many other suppliers will ship to Canada. Be sur to have anything you purchased shipped via USPS and not a courier service, you will avoid heafty brokerage fees this way. There are no tarriffs or duties on new or used motorcycle parts. You will probably have to pay taxes and a small handling fee when it comes through customs.

So it's a lot cheaper in the long run?After exchange and the other fees?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 13, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I did it a couple months ago, a couple hours and the money to buy the part...nothing hard at all.

• robg

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:51 PM

I just did it and it is cool. should have done it sooner. Bought it when I was down in the states for 104.00 bucks from TT store. shipped to my hotel in 2 days. It's night and day difference. The only thing is I had to reshim from 175's to 195's no big deal. The lobes are a bit smaller. There is a really great post on TT that has lots of detail on what to do.

Good luck

• robg

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:59 PM

Don't forget you gotta plug the hole where the decompressor hoochie used to be. TT sels the billet plug, Yamaha sells and plastic one.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 16, 2007 - 04:21 AM

Don't forget you gotta plug the hole where the decompressor hoochie used to be. TT sels the billet plug, Yamaha sells and plastic one.

well...you don't have too....

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2007 - 08:30 AM

And you can get a brass one at most auto parts stores for about $0.75 (18mm cup/freeze plug).

• 426Braap

Posted April 16, 2007 - 09:40 AM

I just bought a used 426 with the decom 450 cam already installed, but when the dealer installed it they left the decompression lever still attached. Can/Should I remove it and plug the hole or is it ok to stay there for future use?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted April 16, 2007 - 09:49 AM

I just bought a used 426 with the decom 450 cam already installed, but when the dealer installed it they left the decompression lever still attached. Can/Should I remove it and plug the hole or is it ok to stay there for future use?

from what grey told me...and i'm sure he'll correct me if i miss quote:busted: but he said that you can leave it in iffin you want but it could get in the way when you shim. I decided to leave mine in for a flooded event...but yesterday was looking into taking it out as the bike is running tip top lately.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:01 AM

As long as the return spring stays on the lever, the lever can stay in the bore, but yeah, it will be in the way of any valve adjustment you might have to do on the right exhaust.

• 426Braap

Posted April 16, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Is there a link here somewhere for easy removal of the lever?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.