Lowdown on WR426

8 replies to this topic
  • tomdez

Posted January 22, 2002 - 06:22 AM

I am looking for a new woods bike. Can someone offer any opinions on a new WR426? Some specifics:
1. Is it as hard to start as most people say?
2. I am sure that power is more than I need.How is the handling in tight woods?
3. Is there any way to reduce the noise without reducing power?
4. What are your overall opinions of the bike for woods riding.
I currently ride a 98 XR400. Happy with the power delivery and reliability. Not happy with the handling, weight and difficulty in starting (particularly when flooded).

• rwhitlock

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:09 AM

I had a '99 XR 400 and now have an '01 WR 426. The power of the wr is soooo much stronger all across the board compared to the xr. You will not run out of power.

I moved to the yz seat and tank to help the bike feel slimmer and also to allow me to slide farther forward. I ride in the mountains and do quite a bit of single track and have not had any problems with the wr. I have not changed the gearing, and only use 1st gear once in a while. The motor lugs really well.

Starting, well.. that is a touchy subject amoung wr owners. For me, I have no problems. It starts (even when cold) on the 2nd or 3rd kick, and when it is hot I use the hot start button and it starts the first kick. You MUST follow the starting routine for this to work. If you want, I'll post my starting routine (for all to see and pick at.. :-) )

I have the stock exhaust with the baffle removed. It is too loud for me. I am looking at the FMF Q to see if that might be better. With the baffle in, the power is still good, but mellow. With it out, the power hits hard on the bottom. Good for helping get the front tire in the air...

Really though, the wr is a great bike. I bought mine new and have been pleased with it ever since.

Hope this helps..

Rod

• tomdez

Posted January 22, 2002 - 11:24 AM

RWHITLOCK, how does the WR426 handle copmared to the XR400? Does the WR feel lighter than the XR?Those are my two issues with the XR.

• BFLee

Posted January 22, 2002 - 12:33 PM

tomdez,

1. In a word, no. I think most people get a lasting impression that the 426 is hard to start because they don't know how to start it. Once you learn the drill it's no problem. Now that mine is broken in I would say it starts on the first kick 60%-70% of the time, and by the 3rd kick 95% of the time. Only one time did I have a bad starting experience. I crashed during a CC race on a steep hill and the bike laid on its side, wheels uphill, for several minutes. I'm sure it just dumped gas into the motor. It took me about 14 thousand kicks to get it going. My buddy lapped me twice on the 6 mile course while I was stopped.

2. My cousin bought a WR250. It is much more manageable than the 426. I thought the power was great and I weigh 240 lbs.

3. Good luck.

4. Consider the WR250, especially if you are under 200 lbs. Get the YZ tank and seat no matter which one you get, It makes all the difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rwhitlock

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:38 PM

As for turning I would have to say the xr was better. However, we are going to need to debate the term turning.

Are we talking uphill switchbacks that require 1st gear? :)

For me, once you got going in 2nd gear they turn the same.. for me. Others may tell you differently. I am not a 'slice and dice' kind of rider. I do not race motocross, so I can't comment on how it rails an outside line, or how it squares off a rounded corner.

Since I switched to the YZ seat and tank setup I can slide farther up on the seat to get more weight on the front end. Some say that will make a world of difference. Others say re-working the forks makes a huge difference.

Unless you ride each bike to their extremes I don't think you will be able to tell a difference. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I do know that for me the fun factor of riding the wr is higher than the xr.

Hope this helps.

Rod

• tomdez

Posted January 24, 2002 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for your input. Thinking maybe a WR250 is more the ticket.Any suggestions?

• LarryCO

Posted January 24, 2002 - 08:50 AM

Being a stout 155 lbs (5'8"), I was asking myself the same question. MOstly wanting to ride trails...with a little track thrown in for good measure. Best decision I've made was to go with the 426.

Sure I used to dump the bike when standing still (if there wasnt a little hill close by to put my foot on), and sure it's a little heavy to manage sometimes, but I certainly enjoy the extra power of the 426 over the 250. I rode both before buying, and the power difference was quite significant.

First bike for me...and I definitely made the right choice.

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: LarryCO ]

• SealClubber

Posted January 26, 2002 - 07:26 PM

I just bought a used 01 wr426. I have no trouble starting the thing. The only problem i have had is when using the hot start button. The bike doesn't seem to need it. In fact it won't start if I use it. However, I havn't ridden it in temps above 60 degrees. I don't know if it will make a difference in the summer heat. The yamaha service guy said not to worry about it. I will have to wait and see. I am also at about 6000 ft here in Colorado Springs and I have a WB e series exhaust.

The bike doesn't seem to be all that loud to me, even with the airbox lid removed.

As for handling? This is my first dirt bike. I love it. I don't know how well it works in the tight stuff. Most of the riding I have done so far is open trails. The tightest stuff I have ridden is some awadis'. It didn't seem too bad but I don't really have anything with which to compare it.

I love the bike. It has gobs of power down low and more than enough up high for me.

Dan

• Steve_Claus

Posted January 26, 2002 - 07:57 PM

Originally posted by tomdez:
I am looking for a new woods bike. Can someone offer any opinions on a new WR426? Some specifics:
1. Is it as hard to start as most people say?
2. I am sure that power is more than I need.How is the handling in tight woods?
3. Is there any way to reduce the noise without reducing power?
4. What are your overall opinions of the bike for woods riding.
I currently ride a 98 XR400. Happy with the power delivery and reliability. Not happy with the handling, weight and difficulty in starting (particularly when flooded).

Hey tomdez,

If you decide you want a used 2001 let me know. You can see my signature for all the details on the bike...and it's famous! (it's the one I used to take all of the pictures of the ThumperTalk fender stickers for the website). It has very low hours...since Bryan and I spend *all* of our spare time making ThumperTalk a great place for you guys, we don't have time to ride anymore. Seriously, it's a really nice bike, so send me an email if you're interested...

steve.claus@thumpertalk.com

--Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.