2001 yz426 Help a noob decide

7 replies to this topic
  • doublediesel

Posted March 06, 2007 - 11:57 AM

I've been haunting these boards. Looking for a bike to chase the kids around.
NO dirtbike experience. I have been leaning towards a 650r because I'm fat 260lbs and 6'. Hadn't considered Yamaha so far because we've had success with Honda. (Be patient) Came across a 2001 yz426f. It looks in good shape (in pics), maybe 200 hours (50 hours in the last two years by current owner), Pro action forks, damper, new chain, new plug, new break away controls, synthetic oil every other ride. Set up for a 160 lb rider. Current owner checked valves once and they were in spec. Other wise stock. I'll be honest, I'm looking at price, he wants 1900.00.

Been reading very good things about the Yamaha. I'm not a maintenance freak; change oil, clean air filter, will check valves, but I want to ride. Not aggressively, no jumps, mostly trails, some open areas.

Will it haul me around on the stock springs? Can they be adjusted to somewhat handle my weight? Does a "new plug" signify a jetting problem? New brake away controls maybe the bike was dumped? Am I looking at engine work in the near future with 200 hrs on the engine? Will the bike need a tear down and relube?

Any thoughts appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2007 - 12:21 PM

They are two very different motorcycles, and each is one of the best in their respective areas. The XR is a big, heavy, fast, machine most at home in areas where there is at least a little room to stretch its legs. They are also, as far as I know, very reliable.

The 426 is a real MX bike, built for that purpose without compromise. It is also very reliable, but it's not really built for really serious "hare and hound" type trail riding, although a lot of people use them for that. The YZF is a good 50-60 pounds lighter than the big XR, too. The trans is a close ratio racing box, so it has a higher 1st, and a lower 5th. This can be limiting at times; if you have to gear it down for the tight stuff, you'll give up top speed, and vice-versa.

Neither bike was built for a 260 pound rider. Get the right springs whichever one you buy. They're not too hard to change, and at $250 or so, they're well worth it.

If by "brake away controls", you mean one of the folding lever types like the ASV, that doesn't mean anything more than the previous owner fell down once in a while. So will you. It makes a small mishap a lot smaller when the lever doesn't break off and send you back to your truck.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted March 06, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Both bikes are known for their reliability but the XR has been around forever and is well proven but big and heavy. The YZ is regarded as arguably the most bulletproof of the four stroke MX bikes but it is still an MX bike that is highly tuned and will require more careful maintenance than the XR IMO. To me, I would not want the extra 50-60 lbs of the XR though.

It would be a good idea to relube (regrease) any used bike. The new plug most likely means nothing more than routine maintenance was performed, jetting issues on a four stroke typically result in nothing more than the bike not running well unlike in a two stroke where an incorrectly jetted bike can foul plugs as fast as you can put them in.

I'm sure the bike has been dumped...I dump mine pretty much every time I ride it! Good luck and have fun!

• golfinsteve

Posted March 06, 2007 - 09:06 PM

for what it's worth, a year ago i was in the exact same place you are asking the same exact questions. long story short, i bought the yz426f and haven't looked back. it's been incredibly dependable, fun, and easy to maintain.
it has more power than you'll ever need, and you might want to take it easy and adjust to the power it puts out until you're comfortable. long story short......get the 426.....you won't regret it!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fishwater

Posted March 07, 2007 - 05:46 PM

I agree, I am 260 plus or minus a few lbs. & my 2001 YZ426 hauls me around fine. The previous owner had it set up for a 225 lb rider & the sag is perfect with me in my riding gear. It is the best bike I have ever owned, more than enough power. I am 6'1" & have added custom risers with low boy pegs plus a tall seat, fits like a glove. It is an amazing bike, very fun to ride, I would say get it & enjoy.

• Goosedog

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:16 AM

If you have no dirtbike experience and are not into maintenence...go with the XR. They are both great machines and I've owned them both, the Honda when I had less experience and just played around and now the YZ for much faster woods riding. The XR is bullet-proof, will never let you down and pulls like a tractor. The YZ requires much more tinkering and is scarey fast.

• WhyZee426

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:37 AM

We've had a 01 yz426 for a few years now and the only thing we're having a problem with is over-heating. The new radiators are on their way approx $400 I believe (father bought them for me) aren't I lucky. Anyways, 426 is an incredible bike and to me more confotable then a yz250 2-stroke.

I'm 6-8 307lbs and it hauls me around just as fast as my dad on the 04 yz450f, and my brother on the yz250. We do trail riding and my brother (yz250) does trails and tracks.

I'm wanting to get to the track, but I'm not ready for it yet:ride:

I love the 426, but we'll have to wait to see if the over heating stops so that I can slow down to ride with my wife on her four-wheeler when i can get the new radiators on.

• ESC

Posted March 08, 2007 - 07:52 AM

No question...get the YZ. I'm a fat guy too who was a noob 2 years ago. I picked up an 01 426 and I couldn't be happier. I haven't had the suspension setup changed for my fat azz yet but I'm having that done this summer.

I ride trails only so I geared down to help with the slower more technical stuff and its still plenty fast when I open it up although I can tell that I lost some top end.
But really...does a 41 year old fat guy need to be doing 70mph across the desert anyway?? :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.