New Member, new bike, I need a new foot

12 replies to this topic
  • cerby25

Posted March 06, 2007 - 10:46 AM

I just thought everybody would get a kick out of this, no pun intended.

I'm 34, and having grown up with a father that worked at a dealership, I've never owned a dirtbike. So after selling my 66 Landcruiser I thought I'd buy
a bike to ride in the desert with my wife on her quad, and use as a commuter.

My wife and I drove an hour and a half to look at a '99 WR 400 that had a plate on it. We pull up and the guy is trying to start it. Took him maybe 10 minutes. We were like hmm... maybe we'll call and say we couldn't make it.
Well we walk over and I take it for a spin and it runs good. Seems like it hits the rev limiter through 1st and 2nd awful early. I'm assuming the "grey wire" disconnect might do something with that. No rear brake, just nothing there when pressed, headlight doesn't work, brake lights don't work. Front turnsignals there but it looks like no wires. To me it looks like it had a dual sport kit and it was yanked out.

Anyway, he was asking 2250, I asked for 1800. Sold, so we loaded it up.
We drove it home to Temecula, CA and upon arriving I wanted to check the lights again as it was dark, so I kicked it over as it sat in the back of my truck. As it ran, yep no lights, ok.

So the next day I try to start it and can't start it for the life of me. The kickstarter doesn't move, I've about broke my foot, hurts still after 3 days.
Finally say screw it and bump start it down my driveway. Starts fine after that when I kill it. Oh yeah, no killswitch either. Have to pull in the decomp lever.

Yesterday, same thing, can't start it for the life of me. So I go to my local dealer to look for a service manual, they of course didn't have it, so I went to a local Cycle Gear store, love them guys. But while at my local dealer I ask how to properly start a 4 stroke and low and behold, I wasn't pulling in the decomp lever while I was trying to kick it over. Well no wonder the kickstart was such a pain. Such an easy kick now! Haha.... totally felt like an idiot and I thought everybody would love hearing that.

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:34 PM

I'm surprised you were even able to Bump Start it... I flooded mine and had enough kicking, so I used Jr's quad to bump start mine and the only way I could get the tire to spin on asphalt was to hold in the decomp lever and clutch with it in 5th, and let the clutch out with the decomp still in to get it spinning, then let the decomp out... You must have a leg like a tree trunk if you were kicking it over without the Decomp...:applause: Congrats...

Jamie

• Seabass

Posted March 06, 2007 - 03:49 PM

That's why I love my magic button!!:applause:

• Max_Aus

Posted March 07, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I just thought everybody would get a kick out of this, no pun intended.

Yesterday, same thing, can't start it for the life of me. So I go to my local dealer to look for a service manual, they of course didn't have it, so I went to a local Cycle Gear store, love them guys. But while at my local dealer I ask how to properly start a 4 stroke and low and behold, I wasn't pulling in the decomp lever while I was trying to kick it over. Well no wonder the kickstart was such a pain. Such an easy kick now! Haha.... totally felt like an idiot and I thought everybody would love hearing that.

So do I understand that you hold the Decomp lever in and kick it until it fires up then release the decomp lever?
I thought that you used the decomp lever to get it primed, then locate TDC and just past this you release the decomp lever and then give it a kick ?

• cerby25

Posted March 07, 2007 - 11:41 PM

Well I'm sure I'm still doing it wrong, but I think I'm doing about what you said.
I pull the lever in, give it 3 kicks while holding the lever and then let go of the lever and kick it and it usually starts. Or sometimes I'll hold the lever in on the 4th kick just past TDC and then let go and finish the kick.

:applause:

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 08, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Cerby25, This is "The Ritual"... As far as I know and practice...
1. Put weight on the kick starter until you cannot move it any further (Should be top of comp stroke).
2. Pull in decomp lever and slowly depress the kick starter about 2-3 inches.
3. Release decomp lever and Kick it over hard and fast.
4. If it goes GREAT:applause: , if it does not, repeat steps 1-3 again:mad: .

It is really quite simple, and after doing it a few hundred times, you will find yourself doing it without thinking... kinda like second nature similar to breathing... Thats how you know when your blood has turned BLUE!!!

Give it a try and let me know how you make out!
Jamie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted March 08, 2007 - 08:45 AM

1. Put weight on the kick starter until you cannot move it any further (Should be top of comp stroke).

It is really quite simple, and after doing it a few hundred times, you will find yourself doing it without thinking... kinda like second nature similar to breathing... Thats how you know when your blood has turned BLUE!!!

Jamie

Check out this ThumperFaq site where they go through the starting procedures.

http://www.thumperfa...rting_drill.htm

• Max_Aus

Posted March 09, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Check out this ThumperFaq site where they go through the starting procedures.

http://www.thumperfa...rting_drill.htm

This link is the axact procedure I use, never fails even the flooded bike drill works great.
:applause:

• Fullbore4

Posted March 09, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Heck maybe thats why the guy sold it....he evidently wasn't using the decomp lever either.

Seriously, once you get the knack of it, it won't hurt starting it with flip-flops on.

• Bladerunner426

Posted March 10, 2007 - 04:27 PM

:applause: Do not hold the decompression lever in to shut the motor down. By doing this you are holding a valve open as the piston is coming up and they will make contact. It is better to put the bike in gear hold the brake and let the clutch out.

• Max_Aus

Posted March 11, 2007 - 02:32 PM

Heck maybe thats why the guy sold it....he evidently wasn't using the decomp lever either.

Seriously, once you get the knack of it, it won't hurt starting it with flip-flops on.

They must have thick flip-flops in the USA. I'm not game to try it.
By the way we call them thongs down under, but I am sure you don't want to wear a thong to start your bike. :applause:
Hope all is going well with the new ride, well done on the purchase, remember to change the oil and oill filter, cheap insurance, clean the air filter after every ride and check all the bolts for loose ones and you will have years of fun
Cheers,
Bruce

• C-P

Posted March 11, 2007 - 07:11 PM

Jamie

This is EXACTLY how I start my '98. Before I knew The Ritual, broken ankle wearing anything less than MX boots seemed eminent. After Ritual, no probs.

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 12, 2007 - 06:06 AM

I have started my 426 using the "Ritual" wearing a pair of Nike Flops (No thong between the toes... I always thought thongs were for the "Ladies?!?!") Anyway, I hope everything works out for you... The 426 is an awesome bike, just hard to find decals to "Pretty her up", I'm looking to change to YZ plastic on mine. Jamie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.