just got a 2001 yz426 some questions plz

3 replies to this topic
  • manowar28888

Posted March 06, 2007 - 08:49 AM

just picked up this bike and was wondering if there were any mods i should be looking into right from the start free mods preffered at the moment. the bike is brand new and stock. i tried to search for mods but it got kinda confusing so if you could point me in a direction for some i would appreciate it.

• WB450

Posted March 06, 2007 - 09:23 AM

just picked up this bike and was wondering if there were any mods i should be looking into right from the start free mods preffered at the moment. the bike is brand new and stock. i tried to search for mods but it got kinda confusing so if you could point me in a direction for some i would appreciate it.

How did you get a brand new 01?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 06, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Start by looking in this thread. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

• Florida_426

Posted March 06, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Go through all the bearings in the wheels, steering head, linkage, dog bone, and shock and grease them well after cleaning them. Set the sag to 100mm for the shock and check the oil height in the forks, change it if you don't know when it was last changed. Change the oil and filter and clean the strainer in the frame down tube. Set the float height to spec (get a factory manual if you didn't get one with the bike.) Find out when the cam timing chain was changed, if at all. Change it if needed. Instructions are in the thread linked above. Check the clutch plates and cable for their condition/adjustment. Adjust the throttle cable and lube all the cables.

Spend a day setting the compression and rebound damping on both forks and shocks then spend time jetting the bike to your location and riding discipline. Do neutral switch removal or wire disconnect, these are free things. With the bike at 100% you can then get used to it and then determine if it has too little power for you. These are great, dependable bikes a with a wide usable power band. Not much more is necessary to have a ball with a 426 or a 400 (or a 450 too.)

Welcome to the Thumper Talk YZ4xxF group, I enjoy my 02 and hope you like the 01 as much.

Bill

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.