Best woods setup 06 YZF 450

14 replies to this topic
  • the Roosta

Posted March 05, 2007 - 10:39 PM

I was wondering what`s the best setup for really tite woods & single track as this bike in stock form is not very woods friendly:eek:

• Thai

Posted March 06, 2007 - 06:46 AM

sag: 95-97mm
lower the fork tubes: 3-6mm
I like a 18" rear wheel, you can run 14-16psi and get more tire suspension effect over roots and rocks
cut 1" off both ends of the bars
bark busters, I like Cycra pro-bend
fly wheel weight 10 - 12 oz
51-52 rear sprocket, I like iron man, you should be running in 3rd gear most of the time.
if you can afford it have your suspension tuned for your type of riding - most important thing is to be honest with the tuner. Trail riding with your buds is a different set up than WORCS "A" rider set up.
Spark arrestor and quiet pipe - the bike puts out way more power than you need in the woods, no need in loosing your riding spot because of noise complaints
Ty Davis ZipTy Racing carb mod
A lot of people say you should have radiator braces, my experiance is, if you are riding in the woods (TREES) it is easier to take off the broken radiator with out first having to take off the broken radiator brace.

Don't buy off on the idea that using a 48 rear sproket will soften the punch, run the ride gearing and use the flywheel weight.:applause: :lol:

• dwnlowx

Posted March 06, 2007 - 07:55 AM

id go with a i-cat it is a great mod for trails and single tracks ,it keeps the bike from stalling out so easily,starts alot easier(firstkick),and it helps out power wise as well it really made my bike alot better

• RIDE 13

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:23 PM

If your a woods rider for the most part,you might look into a rukluse....:applause: I have an 06 450 stock frntsprocket,51rear and a rukluse and have no problems in the woods(single track..tight tree's...elevation changes) I rejeted to 170m 48p and have white bros. E-2.Hope this helps:thumbsup:

• kxman

Posted March 07, 2007 - 06:45 PM

I installed a Rekluse in mine, love it. I also revalved the forks myself. Took me 3 tries but I finally ended up with the best suspension I have ever ridden in the woods. Totally love this bike.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 08, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Mod number 1.....REKLUSE. :applause: :lol: :eek:

Here is a list of the rest of my mods:

Rekluse rear hand brake
Unabiker rad guards
GYT-R bash plate
FasstCo Flexx bars with Powermadd Handguards
Suspension, re-sprung and re worked for me
18" rear
12 T front and 52T rear (and no I dont have chain guide issues)
Good O ring chain
Vent hose relocate
ASV levers
Clarke tank
Lowered fork tubes 10mm
Sag at 100mm
PMB SA end cap with 96db quiet cap for public lands

This setup has worked awesome for me. I have been so much happier my 06 YZ than I was on my WR, its just so much lighter and smaller feeling. This bike is just a single track weapon. :lol:

• dwnlowx

Posted March 08, 2007 - 11:37 PM

hey blackandbluethumper
just wondering what is you top speed when you run that setup (gearing).
have you ever rode that gearing on a track, and if so how is it in turns

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 11, 2007 - 08:44 PM

hey blackandbluethumper
just wondering what is you top speed when you run that setup (gearing).
have you ever rode that gearing on a track, and if so how is it in turns

About 70 mph, actually just a hair under. I did gps it, but now I honestly cant remember the exact speed. And no on the track. Sorry, I never ride the track.

• Pipefitter317

Posted November 10, 2009 - 03:06 PM

id go with a i-cat it is a great mod for trails and single tracks ,it keeps the bike from stalling out so easily,starts alot easier(firstkick),and it helps out power wise as well it really made my bike alot better

What on earth is an i-cat? Sounds like I need one!

• FinchFan194

Posted November 10, 2009 - 08:14 PM

IMO an i-cat is a waste of money. Its suppose to produce a hotter spark but I am willing to bet that Yamaha has the ideal ignition spark for peak horsepower already setup on the bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 10, 2009 - 08:18 PM

As far as woods riding I do about 50/50 woods and track riding.

I have the GYT-r Offroad FWW on my 08 and run 13/47 gearing and absolutely love it. I ride single track with a guy that is the current Enduro champion for our state for his class which I think is 40+ and I can tell you he smokes through those trail and my gearing isn't holding me back at this point its my suspension. I just got the bike and I am still trying to get it dialed in.

Good luck with your setup.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2009 - 08:34 PM

The I-Cat was useful for YZF's built prior to '03 because it made them start more reliably and foul plugs less. It was a sort of low grade CD ignition, and increased the cranking spark strength. From '03 on, it has little effect, as the ignitions were upgraded that year.

• hillclimbguy

Posted November 11, 2009 - 12:47 AM

18" wheel
Brush guards
Scotts stablizer
53 13 gearing
IMS 3.1 gallon tank
Heavy duty tubes
Evans Coolant

• Pipefitter317

Posted November 11, 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the I-cat info, turns out not only do I not need one but I dont even want one:ride:. With the 18 inch rear wheel, is everyone buying a WR450 wheel? I know the bikes are alot alike, will a WR rear wheel fit the YZF?

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2009 - 02:11 PM

will a WR rear wheel fit the YZF?

Yes, but they are somewhat hard to find. But the earlier wheels will fit, too, if the right spacers and brake rotor are used.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.