• Lowedog

Posted April 01, 2007 - 08:25 PM

WRDave, who makes those rad guards?

-Lowedog

• WR_Dave

Posted April 02, 2007 - 09:35 AM

WRDave, who makes those rad guards?

-Lowedog

dave, where did you get those accordian things on the forks?
are they off of an XR or something?

The rad guards are Flatland racing for an '06/07 YZ450f and they had to be slightly modified on the inner plates to fit between the frame and the rads. The fork boots are the large size Pro-Grip models , cause I can't stand fork seal leaks after every second ride. And before I get the usual speech about "stiction" and cleaning under the dust seals, I do all thatand have seal savers underneath and prefer to protect my forks this way for the last 15 years without any problems. :bonk: WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted April 03, 2007 - 03:29 PM

The rad guards are Flatland racing for an '06/07 YZ450f and they had to be slightly modified on the inner plates to fit between the frame and the rads. The fork boots are the large size Pro-Grip models , cause I can't stand fork seal leaks after every second ride. And before I get the usual speech about "stiction" and cleaning under the dust seals, I do all thatand have seal savers underneath and prefer to protect my forks this way for the last 15 years without any problems. :bonk: WR Dave

Dave - How do the boots attach at the lower end - or are they just floating? Also, doesn't the upper end get chewed up by the fork protector moving up and down. Could you post some detailed pics of the upper and lower attachment points for the boots? I like your setup and would like to do the same. Oh yeah, where did you buy the boots from and who makes your front disc guard? Thanks.

• WR_Dave

Posted April 03, 2007 - 05:35 PM

The boots are mounted upside down from the intended position, so I punch holes in the bottom end to allow air and water etc. to escape. The boots are the large size Pro-Grip, but Acerbis makes them too. I use plastic tye straps on the bottom and top to keep them in place. You have to make a thin metal shield to keep the boot out of the front rotor and I heated and slightly curved the edges of the fork guards so they don't rub against the boots with too much force. I have used this same set-up since the inverted forks invaded the off road world and have had no problems with it. I did it after everyone told me it wouldn't work so here I am about 15 years later waiting for it to not work.:bonk: The front dics guard is a Cycra YZ white unit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.