length between oil changes

48 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:12 AM

... that foam test result has me thinking ...

When I was running MX4T, I never once that I remember ever pulled the dipstick and found any foam on it. The lab foam tests are pretty strenuous, and in a well designed dry sump system, I don't think it's a huge issue. MX4T is a good oil, and I don't think I'd scratch it off the list on that basis.

• Stripes123

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:32 PM

When I was running MX4T, I never once that I remember ever pulled the dipstick and found any foam on it. The lab foam tests are pretty strenuous, and in a well designed dry sump system, I don't think it's a huge issue. MX4T is a good oil, and I don't think I'd scratch it off the list on that basis.

What led you to convert over to Amsoil?

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:39 PM

Price and availability, along with the API GL-1 grading. I hadn't yet seen the oil report.

• Stripes123

Posted March 28, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Is there another independent motorcycle oil report available on line? This one seems to be done for Amsoil.

The MCF looks like a winner but I just want some additional information before making a switch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Not that I know of. However, the testing was contracted by Amsoil to an independent test lab, and I don't see any reason to doubt the results. Besides, my big issue is shear stability, and no other engine oil that I know of carries API GL-1.

• wes_scooter

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:43 PM

i know everyone talks about changing the oil very oftain but in my 06 450 which i trail ride only, i change the oil and filter about twice a year. running around 150+ miles on an oil change. i think its overkill to change it more oftain. has anyone taken an oil sample and have an analisis done. i bet it will show its fine. by the time the oil damages the engine it'll be time for engine work anyway. just my 2cents worth.

• Ganadore

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:50 PM

i know everyone talks about changing the oil very oftain but in my 06 450 which i trail ride only, i change the oil and filter about twice a year. running around 150+ miles on an oil change. i think its overkill to change it more oftain. has anyone taken an oil sample and have an analisis done. i bet it will show its fine. by the time the oil damages the engine it'll be time for engine work anyway. just my 2cents worth.

You got to get out and ride more :bonk: (2 oil changes per year, 150 miles per oil change).

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:05 PM

has anyone taken an oil sample and have an analisis done. i bet it will show its fine.

Yes, and you're wrong, in many cases. I've seen UOA's on several supposedly reputable oils that measured one or even two grades lower than labeled in as little as 2 hours time on the engine. I also have an '03 that has neither had, nor does it need any engine work.

BTW, I'll be looking for an '06 in a little while. Not interested in yours, thanks.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:36 PM

150 miles....whats that about 12 hours..??....3 rides.....thats about when I change mine..between 10 and 15 hours..

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.