2006 YZ450 Spring Guide Failure

3 replies to this topic
  • olympus

Posted March 05, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I just bought a very slightly used 2006 YZ450SE. It looks like it was looped out once by the previous owner and he called it quits.

Anyway on my 3rd lap around my local track after setting the sag the lower spring guide failed on a small 20ft table top. The upper steel plate that the spring rests on it still somewhat intact but the lower aluminum guide is MIA. I guess it broke in half and is somewhere on the track. Luckily other than some tire marks on the fender and the inside of the exhaust can there was no significant damage.

The fix is cheap, about $25 for the two lower spring guides from the local dealer.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar failures? It seems really unusual. I'm just glad it happened on a small jump rather than on a large rhythm section or something.

• RIDE 13

Posted March 05, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Ihavn't had any problems with my 06 besides a fork seal.I have 16.3 hrs on mine:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LoneRanger171

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I too just bought a super clean slightly used 06 SE that was rode once or twice by the owner with a broken arm due to a crash his reason to sell it 6 months later. Did you ride it at all before going to the track?

• olympus

Posted March 11, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Installed the new spring guide today. It looks like the spring may have been installed upside down by the factory.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.