What chain lube?

I was just wondering what kind of chain lube you guys were using? I have been using Honda pro chain lube in the red can. It's alright just looking for something a little better bc my chain is all kinked up. I have tried WD-40 and it dosen't really work either. Oh yea I need something o-ring safe.

Once a chain is kinked, it is pretty much all done. It kinks because all the internal lube is gone. That can be done if an o-ring fails or if the chain gets near a pressure washer. I too would like to know what the ideal chain lube that keeps the o-rings soft but does not attract dirt.

Speaking of pressure washers, the previous owner of my WR must have like using one. There was water in the front forks, inside the rear shock and the rear suspension linkage was completely rusted. A clean bike is not necessarily in better shape than a dirty one.

Paul

Grab some 'Duckhams' chain wax. Remove your chain. Place the chain and wax in an old electirc frypan in the shed. Bring to smoke point. Turn off and remove chain and allow wax to drain back into the pot. When dry put it back on your bike. NO FING, very little wear ! Do this and you will double your chain life.

... my chain is all kinked up. I have tried WD-40 and it dosen't really work either. Oh yea I need something o-ring safe.

Hi CaseyWR450,

WD-40 is not a good chain lube...it's really more of a solvent than a lube. It has petroleum oils in it but also contains solvents that limit it's effectiveness as a lubricant and the oils are thin. Using WD-40 on an O-ring chain is not optimal.

I use a pretty standard product called Motorcycle Stuff Chain Lube.

It contains Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)...the Dupont trade name for PTFE is Teflon...and a molybdinum-based lubricant (moly). This stuff goes on wet to penetrate all the tiny nooks and displace any dirt particles (you would never lube a dirty chain...right:bonk: ) and then dries quickly. PTFE does a good job of displacing moisture and repelling dirt while the moly provides a good lube surface. It's not sticky when dry so it doesn't gunk up too fast.

WD-40 is a great chain cleaner. Use a good non-sticky chain lube applied to a clean chain before every ride and your chain will remain un-kinked for much longer and your sprockets will thank you.

-Jay

Hi CaseyWR450,

WD-40 is not a good chain lube...it's really more of a solvent than a lube. It has petroleum oils in it but also contains solvents that limit it's effectiveness as a lubricant and the oils are thin. Using WD-40 on an O-ring chain is not optimal.

I read that all the time but I've never dryed up o-rings with wd-40 and I've used it for about 1.5 yrs. Also the chain wear has not increased significantly, its probably wearing more so because its almost 3 years old then it is because of the wd-40. $2.50 a can beats $8.00 a can anyday for this poor college student.

If your chain is kinked, it's stuffed.

O-ring chains don't need lube.

Chain lube wears out chains quicker as the dirt/dust sticks to it and turns into a grinding paste, wash bike then spray with silicon, job done

I agree. All chain lubes I have tried all attract dirt and dust. I clean mine with WD-40 after every ride, wipe of the excess and spray it with a dry lubricant.

I read that all the time but I've never dryed up o-rings with wd-40 and I've used it for about 1.5 yrs. Also the chain wear has not increased significantly, its probably wearing more so because its almost 3 years old then it is because of the wd-40. $2.50 a can beats $8.00 a can anyday for this poor college student.

Hi JSanfilippo,

Ahh...there's nothing like a dead horse to kick around...the 'ol WD-40 vs. chain lube debate.

There are as many opinions as there are riders...but it's my observation that the very vast majority can agree that something...be it WD-40 or bacon grease...is better than nothing at all.?

I have ruined expensive chains using WD-40 as the only lubricant. I have friends that have used WD-40 and their chain life didn't seem appreciably short.:applause:

I use WD-40 as a solvent and rust preventer and I use it to clean chains.

To each his own...no worries man.

-Jay

I was just wondering what kind of chain lube you guys were using? I have been using Honda pro chain lube in the red can. It's alright just looking for something a little better bc my chain is all kinked up. I have tried WD-40 and it dosen't really work either. Oh yea I need something o-ring safe.

There yah have it........exactly one kind of chain lube to use.........NOT. It appears there's more types of lube than the number of links on your chain......LOL.

I'm sorry to ask this, but what kind of lubes are considered dry lubricants?

I'll have to look at the brand when I get home today but I got it at Home Depot. It's recomended to anywhere you want a lube without attracting dirt. So far it's worked well, when I wash my bike the dirt / mud fall right off the chain.