Rotella T users

10 replies to this topic
  • norcal_hoss

Posted March 05, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Excuse me if this has been in another post but I looked back and do not see anything.
I have been running the 15-40 dino Rotella in my 07 450 since my first oil change, no problems at all love it for the price. Anyways I went and picked up a case at Sams club and it's a new formula. Its called Rotella T "triple protection" So I went on Shell Rotellas website and BAM right there in the first thread says "Triple protection in motorcycles" or something... One guys says the new formula is better than the old and others say the new formula is not good for our bikes. Here is a link to that thread. Im gonna run it see if it slippin or anything out of the norm but I change it after two rides so im gonna se what happens.
http://www.shellusse...page=1#Post3119

• NDC

Posted March 05, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Please keep us Rotella users posted!

I've been running it for 6 months now, with no problems....course I change it after every single ride, so maybe that has something to do with it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2007 - 12:55 PM

My concern is the same with Rotella as it always has been; shear stability. The oil was not formulated as a gear lubricant, although most diesels have gear driven injector pumps at the least. Such oils tend to get beat to death quite rapidly. A friend of mine sent a UOA of Rotella T 15w-40 that had sheared down to a 30 in less than 1000 miles of road riding. He had another sample of Amsoil MCF in the same motorcycle that still had its full new oil viscosity after over 3000 miles.

The HTHS testing the user refers to in his post are only a part of that picture. ASTM D-6278 testing is an important measure of the oil's ability to retain viscosity, and those are the numbers I'd like to see. Even given that the 5w-40 Triple Protection is a full synthetic, and that from that we could assume a higher Viscosity Index of the base oil, I would still think that it would require at least a similar level of Viscosity Index Improvers for the 5 wt base oil to function as a 40 at full temperature, so I'd expect it to be about as vulnerable to shear down as the 15w-40 Rotella T if these VII's were not of the type generally used in gear lubes.

So my opinion would be, based on the info available, that TP should be no worse now than it was, and that it's probably a very good oil for as long as it will stay in grade, but that you should change it out fairly often until you have some solid evidence as to whether it will hold up in a YZF for any length of time. Certainly not anywhere near the 50 hours the one respondent mentioned.

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 05, 2007 - 03:53 PM

how many hours would you recommend gray?

and what oil do you use, how much, and where can i get it?

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:12 PM

For Rotella, no more than 3-4 hours. You can test your own stuff to see if you can go longer than that. Visit Blackstone Labs. Based on the number of people who use it successfully, I'd say it's a good choice IF you keep it changed.

I use Amsoil MCF ("Synthetic Motorcycle Oil") . You can sign up as a preferred customer, buy online, and have it shipped directly to your front porch for a total cost of about $8 if you buy two 12/qt cases in a year.

If I could get it for that price, and buy it whenever I wanted (or by the case) I'd buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 Motorcycle oil (formerly MX4T). Both these oils are excellent. I change it out anywhere between 5-10 hours, depending on where the oil has already been, and where it's going next.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Excuse me if this has been in another post but I looked back and do not see anything.
I have been running the 15-40 dino Rotella in my 07 450 since my first oil change, no problems at all love it for the price. Anyways I went and picked up a case at Sams club and it's a new formula. Its called Rotella T "triple protection" So I went on Shell Rotellas website and BAM right there in the first thread says "Triple protection in motorcycles" or something... One guys says the new formula is better than the old and others say the new formula is not good for our bikes. Here is a link to that thread. Im gonna run it see if it slippin or anything out of the norm but I change it after two rides so im gonna se what happens.
http://www.shellusse...page=1#Post3119

Keep running the Rotella. The new stuff is fine for your clutch. To the best of my knowledge, Rekluse still recommends it, and they know there stuff when it comes to clutches.

• Gerry B

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hey Grey,
what do you think about Motul 5100 oil?

• kyle450rider

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:32 PM

For Rotella, no more than 3-4 hours. You can test your own stuff to see if you can go longer than that. Visit Blackstone Labs. Based on the number of people who use it successfully, I'd say it's a good choice IF you keep it changed.

I use Amsoil MCF ("Synthetic Motorcycle Oil") . You can sign up as a preferred customer, buy online, and have it shipped directly to your front porch for a total cost of about $8 if you buy two 12/qt cases in a year.

If I could get it for that price, and buy it whenever I wanted (or by the case) I'd buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 Motorcycle oil (formerly MX4T). Both these oils are excellent. I change it out anywhere between 5-10 hours, depending on where the oil has already been, and where it's going next.

Grey,the mobile you are talking about is the stuff i've ran in my old honda and my new yamaha.No complaints its good stuff from what i can tell.I buy mine at autozone for about what your paying for your amsoil.Is the rotella formulated for motorcycles?I never understood why someone who just spent 7K on a new bike would run car oil in there bike.

• vh5150

Posted March 05, 2007 - 10:04 PM

You can't go wrong with Rotella 15-40

http://www.thumperta...218#post4177218

• twenty34

Posted March 10, 2007 - 04:32 AM

I've found this PDF an interesting and eye opening read to say the least. Are these AMSOIL funded studies or independant? I use YamalubeR, but I will be changing. You can't argue against the results posted here.

Also GR, do you use the 10/40 or the 20/50? Would there be any particular reason I shouldn't run the 20/50W blend?

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2007 - 04:22 PM

The Amsoil studies were paid for by Amsoil, but they were not done by Amsoil employees, or at an Amsoil facility. There's a certificate of authenticity in the back of the PDF. What I'd like to see is the same battery of tests run again using the top 5 motorcycle oils from this test, and some of the automotive oils, like Rotella and Mobil 1 EP to illustrate the differences

I run 10w-40. Looking at your manual, you'll see a chart showing the temperature ranges recommended for various oil weights, and you'll see that 10w-40 is good in weather up to 110 degrees. I don't (won't) ride in temps that high, so I don't need the 50. I use a 20w-50, but the only time is for the hottest two months of the year here.

Why shouldn't you use a 50wt? Because you don't need it. the best practice is to use the lightest oil you can use that will give you good engine protection. Heavier oils are harder to pump, and cause more drag. Lighter oils are delivered to the engine's lube points faster, and in greater volume, so in some circumstances, they can lube better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.