First Bike, First Question...

5 replies to this topic
  • bfox55

Posted March 05, 2007 - 07:25 AM

hey guys, i just picked up a 99 yz400 over the weekend and I couldn't be happier. The only thing that needs to be replaced right now is the rear sprocket so I wanted to ask what everyone else is running on their bikes...

Thanks!

• yami racer

Posted March 05, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I run the stock set up on my 2006 450. Remember that the larger the rear sproket the more bottom end you will have and vice versa. Most trail riders run a larger rear sproket than those who ride MX.

• WB450

Posted March 05, 2007 - 11:07 AM

hey guys, i just picked up a 99 yz400 over the weekend and I couldn't be happier. The only thing that needs to be replaced right now is the rear sprocket so I wanted to ask what everyone else is running on their bikes...

Thanks!

Might consider changing both and the chain. Used on new will cost ya in the long run.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfox55

Posted March 05, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, she's gonna get a new chain at the same time. I'm just debating on what kind to get. I'll be riding trails so I might try one tooth over stock on the rear sprocket. Anybody have any brand preferences or suggestions?

• bigbluerider4life

Posted March 05, 2007 - 05:39 PM

replace with jt steel sprockets front and rear with a d.i.d. o-ring chain/regina orn6 o-ring chain

if you dont replace all at the same time they will have different wear patterns and will cost you all new once again

definately go with an o-ring chain and STEEL sprockets, aluminum wear really quickly, you can run a steel for a season +

• grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2007 - 08:01 PM

definately go with an o-ring chain and STEEL sprockets, aluminum wear really quickly, you can run a steel for a season +

I have run the same Tag aluminum rear sprocket for well over a year now. JT steel is a budget product, and like most such products, you get what you pay for.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.