DC Only lighting for Dual Sport????

7 replies to this topic
  • ras1027

Posted March 03, 2007 - 08:19 PM

I am wondering if it would be possible to run a dual sport kit (Dakar/ Baja Designs/ ECT.) on DC power (battery only) long enough (30-40 min) to pass the Ma. State Police Inspection required to get a road reg for my 2006 YZ450F. I would only be linking trails on the road. I have only been able to find one company (lakes and trail in MI) who are making a moose coil work in the 06/07 YZ450F am I am not sure if that is the route I want to take. Any input ??
Thanks

• dwnlowx

Posted March 04, 2007 - 12:48 AM

it would be hardto mount lights on a battery that small enough to fit in your dirtbike

• Thai

Posted March 04, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply. (might help someone else) We used to do this in AZ to get our bikes registered for on road. Put the battery in the airbox. Get a regular motorcycle 12v battery. Take out the airfilter. (do not ride the bike in celebration, until the airfilter is replaced). Just set the battery in the airbox and wire it to the light through an on/off switch. The battery is good for about an hour.

• ras1027

Posted March 04, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the input. Baja Designs sells a very small battery that fits behind the headlight assy. If the lights draw too much to run for a short period I will take the full size bike battery in the air box route. After the inspect I can run the non DOT. led lights, they will run a lot longer on the small battery.

Thanks Again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeDD

Posted March 05, 2007 - 12:08 AM

I made a battery pack out of 8C nicad batteries. Worked like a champ.

• MikeDD

Posted March 05, 2007 - 12:16 AM

Shoot didn't see the 30-40 min. In that case I would go with the motorcycle battery. Even 8D batteries won't power the headlight for that long.

• ras1027

Posted March 05, 2007 - 01:56 AM

How Long Did The 8c's Run The Headlight

• rooster wrooster

Posted March 05, 2007 - 06:12 AM

I bought a battery powered dual sport kit from sicass.com for about $270. It got me street legal in Michigan. But the the light only lasts about 12 min on high.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.