New (to me) TOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies to this topic
  • hoellc

Posted March 03, 2007 - 10:25 AM

After a couple of months of research and a month of searching, I just got my new toy home:thumbsup: :lol: :eek: . It's an 02 WR 426. Got it for 2350. It's in good shape and runs like a beast. I haven't been on a dirtbike in a while, last was a wr250 2 stroke, and man this thing runs strong. I can't wait to go out and do a little roosting on it, just need the weather to break. Any advice for a new bike owner as far as making sure she's ready for the first ride?:applause: :lol:

• lowry

Posted March 03, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Great bike, I have an '01 and love it. Just change the oil and make sure the air filter is clean and go have some fun.

• byggd

Posted March 04, 2007 - 08:46 AM

I have a 02 as well and it’s been a great bike for me! Seeing as you’re weather challenged you might want to take the time to grease the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings. While you have the seat off checking the air filter pull the tank and have a look around under there and check the condition of the plug. Also check the brake pads and fluid level. The 02 is an awesome bike and will bring you many hours of shit eaten grinning :applause:

• hoellc

Posted March 04, 2007 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, I think the weather is supposed to get better this week and I will tear into her and get everything ready.

• trueblue426

Posted March 04, 2007 - 06:06 PM

check all the bolts to see if they are tight these things vibrate like mad and start spittin bolts if your not up on the maint:prof: .......mine threw the damn chain roller last week:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hoellc

Posted March 04, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I already noticed a couple of loose bolts, nothing major but it brought attention to the fact that this bike is not exactly a sewing machine, I will certainly give the bike a good look to see if anything else is loose. I also want to see if the grey wire mod has been done, as well as the throttle stop screw. The previous owner said he hadn't done that but he was the 2nd owner so I will have to see for myself. I have to say though, after reading some of the horror stories about the starting procedure and height of the bike I was a bit worried. Now that I've got it I really don't see the big deal. I am 6' and touch the ground with both feet, and starting is pretty easy. Granted, I haven't dumped the bike yet or had to start it on a hillside, but it seems to start on the first or second kick. Maybe I just got a good one. Also after riding a zx9 for the past several years, this bike feels like a toy, easy to move around on, light weight, and leaps ahead of the wr 250 I used to have. Just my point of view having not ridden a dirtbike in years. Thanks for the helpful info, this forum is a great resource.

Posted March 05, 2007 - 08:59 AM

The only bad thing I have to say about my 02 WR 426 is DAMN that thing is heavy just happen to look through my book again the other day it says 268lbs.Other than that what a GREAT BIKE twist the grip and hang on!!!!!!!!

• 89TRX350RX

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I love my '02... It rocks... Starting has never been a problem with mine, and everyone says to do the '03 cam exchange. I still do the ritual, and have only used the hot-start onthe carb maybe 3 times in the past year. I never even need it during a hot stall or after I dump it (quite often)... Awesome bike with stump pulling power... Good choice... Jamie

• hoellc

Posted March 05, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Glad to hear all the good comments about the WR. I guess the weight just doesn't seem too bad to me because I really don't have much to compare it to. I once read in a streetbike mag something to the effect that "ridden in isolation any of these bikes would feel like the fastest thing ever built" I think that lends creedence to the old addage that ignorance is bliss. I'm very happy with this bike, and having been a little heavy myself I guess I have a soft spot for a portly bike. I've got a hitch for my car on the way and a trailer picked out. Hopefully in the next week I'll take it out for my first good ride.

• byggd

Posted March 06, 2007 - 04:58 PM

The only bad thing I have to say about my 02 WR 426 is DAMN that thing is heavy just happen to look through my book again the other day it says 268lbs.Other than that what a GREAT BIKE twist the grip and hang on!!!!!!!!

Yeah they are on the piggish side but once you learn the balance of the bike you don’t really notice it. I swear my KLR 250 is just as heavy (maybe not but it sure feels like it) but the 426 power to weight ratio makes it all worth it!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.