Oil filter - Stainless or regular?

9 replies to this topic
  • 99yz400

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hey Guys,

I'd like to know if it is worth it to buy a stainless steel filter??
Would it clean the oil more efficiently than a standard oil filter?
If so, do you have any recommendations (Brands + Models)?

Thanks a lot:ride:

• 99yz400

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:00 PM

I forgot, I have another question. Is there a particular type of coolant to use for radiators? I heard that some bikes tend to overheat so I'd like to get the best coolant possible. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks again

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:29 PM

I used a Scotts SS filter. I have used a CRT and it fell apart about a year after cleaning...

You get better flow? How do I know this? Well, my YZF used to have the notorious grabby clutch, using a brass filter. With using the same oil, I just put in a Scotts. The grabby clutch immediatly went away. Since drilling the clutch boss removes the grabby clutch (improved oil flow) this is leading me to believe that these filters flow more oil. Same story on my 06.

It has a larger surface area than a paper or brass filter. This means you are able to handle more debris, and you get the larger flow rate.

You also filter better than paper or brass. Paper may have large holes in it.

Paper may also bypass the oil when the oil is cold. A scott's is less likely to because of the improved flow.

Not only that, the filter pays off in just 12 oil changes. If you change your oil twice a month (oil filter every month then) 6-12 months the filter would have payed off for itself.

For coolant, I use engine ice. It comes premixed and does reduce temps. If you do not choose this route, go to Safeway or a food store and buy some Distilled Water. It does not contain any minerals that will clog up your system.

• Captaincautious7

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I used the Scotts through 2 crfs and many oil changes before buying my yzf. I purchased the Ready Racing Brand for it because it was cheaper and I believe it filters just as well. Either way you can't go wrong with a stainless compared to stock paper. You'll save a significant amount of money.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hey Guys,

I'd like to know if it is worth it to buy a stainless steel filter??
Would it clean the oil more efficiently than a standard oil filter?
If so, do you have any recommendations (Brands + Models)?

Thanks a lot:ride:

Yes.

In a way, yes. It's a little complicated, but overall, IMO, yes.

Scotts. Unquestionably.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 99yz400

Posted March 03, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Ok, thanks, I'll probably buy a Scott filter.

How do you clean it when it's time for oil change?
Do you have to use a special cleaner or you could use carb cleaner, for example?

Thanks again

• King_Air

Posted March 03, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I use carb cleaner. I spray from the inside out.

• 250Thumpher

Posted March 03, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Carb cleaner sprayed inside > out, then to the sink with warm water and dishwashing soap, then I put the top opening right at the outlet of the nozzle, and let water flow full blast through the filter. After all the soap is gone, I take it to the aircompressor where I blow out the water.

I do this every oil change. It's free, why not?

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2007 - 12:00 PM

You can clean them with almost anything that will remove oil, as already mentioned. If using water, a good follow up is carb cleaner, since most of them contain alcohol of one kind or other, and that absorbs water.

The key is to remember that the inside of the filter is where the clean oil lives. If you happen to leave some tiny particle on the outside by mistake, it won't really matter, but you should try to keep all debris out of the interior while you clean it.

• 99yz400

Posted March 03, 2007 - 03:29 PM

thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments! :applause:

I think I'll buy one of those Scott filter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.