05 WR450 Rear Tire 120/100/18

26 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted January 26, 2009 - 12:43 AM

It will fit no problem. I've been running a 120/100/18 Maxxis Desert IT for years.
Took these this morning for ya. :banana:
This one only has 1 ride on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

........ bahhh :lol:

Thanks for the info guys, BlackSheep, jeez the 120 width tyres look tough! Thanks for the pic. The look alone almost sold me. Might give the 120 a go.

• Strattos

Posted January 27, 2009 - 07:51 PM

It will fit no problem. I've been running a 120/100/18 Maxxis Desert IT for years.
Took these this morning for ya. :banana:
This one only has 1 ride on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

........ bahhh :lol:

Just been to the Dunlop site and the 756 I've been using doesn't come in that size.

Considering the Maxxis you've got. How have you found them? What conditions do you ride in?

• SID013

Posted January 28, 2009 - 04:29 AM

I'm looking for a new rear and was wondering about the width issue. I'm running at 110/110/18 at the moment, and have noticed (after doing a search on the tyre width issue) some of you guys say you get more grip with the wider tyre. Does this depend on the terrain?

Most of our terrain is sand and woops. Would wider equal more traction in these conditions? Any impact on stability? I'm going to stick with the Dunlop 756 as they're a magic mix of durability and grip in our conditions. Just not sure on the size.

Was considering going to a 120/100/18, if that's the right ratio for a 120 width?

Hi Strattos, My 06' came standard with the 140/80-18 & after running several Dunlops I put Motoz Tractionator Enduros front & 140/80-18 rear. Front is great for traction & wear & the rear was too when new but the 450 just eats rears. I have put some mates onto Motoz & they're rapt in them also. We ride mainly hardpack & sandy whoops here in the West, Where are you riding?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted January 28, 2009 - 08:27 AM

The other thing to keep in mind here is that not every tire mfg. subscribes to the same sizing standards..

For instance - Michelin 140 = Maxxis 120 :banana:

• briter

Posted January 28, 2009 - 11:44 AM

I've run both the 110/100 and 120/100 -18 on my 2004 Wr450. Both run equally well and I have not noticed any loss of power using the 120/100-18 on the rear. I use Metzler MC5 and Dunlop 739AT tires for rear. Started using the Metzler MC5 because of the lower cost. It hooks up well and can last equally as well as the Dunlop if you stay out of the rocks. The MC5 appears to use a softer rubber that cuts easily over rocks found in the AZ desert. Extended runs over boulder fields turned the Metzler with half wear into a slick very quickly with my style of riding (E,G., Klondike run in southern AZ). I will most likely go back to the 739AT because the $$$ of the Metzler tire has now gone up proportional to the Dunlop. The Dunlop, IMHO is the far superior tire between the two. I buy the 120 size tires now only when they are on sale. Additionally, I am the only one in a group of six or seven regular riders (2 2004 WR450 riders) that has even tried the 120 size tires. All the rest of the crew has either gone to trials-style tires or stayed with the 110/100-18.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted January 28, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Just been to the Dunlop site and the 756 I've been using doesn't come in that size.

Considering the Maxxis you've got. How have you found them? What conditions do you ride in?

I usually buy them from Cycle Gear. www.CycleGear.com

I ride mostly in rocky, dusty southern california desert. The Maxxis Desert IT can take a beating and not show too much wear.

........... bahhh :banana:

• Strattos

Posted January 28, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi Strattos, My 06' came standard with the 140/80-18 & after running several Dunlops I put Motoz Tractionator Enduros front & 140/80-18 rear. Front is great for traction & wear & the rear was too when new but the 450 just eats rears. I have put some mates onto Motoz & they're rapt in them also. We ride mainly hardpack & sandy whoops here in the West, Where are you riding?

Around the Mildura area in north west Victoria. Pretty much the same sort of terrain at the Hattah Desert Race, if you've ever raced or heard of that. Our club actually runs the event.

SJMC_DON: Yeah I have noticed that. I have a few riding mates that run Michelins and noticed they always seemed to be running, according to the figures on the tyre wall, really wide tyres compared to the rest of us. This certainly doesn't help ease the confusion.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.