What could POSSIBLY happen?

13 replies to this topic
  • slepe67

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:54 PM

My son and his cousin were watching old McGrath videos, arguing the fact that in this video he was #1, and the when he retired he was #2...then they begged me..."Can you take us for a ride?" The weather was perfect. We'll just bang around the back yard. What could POSSIBLY go wrong? I put cousin Riley on first, and took him around the yard, noticing that he is now way too big to sit in front of me, so I pulled up next to my house, and told him to climb off and get on back. Bike in neutral, running. In what seemed to be an eternity, but probably was only 3 seconds, Riley managed to 1.) swing towards the right side of the bike to dismount 2.) bang it into first 3.) pull the throttle back about 90% on his way off the bike. I just heard the 600 rev way up, and BOOM, the nose went straight up, almost hitting the top of my pergola, then fell sideways. Neither of us were even scratched. We were both standing there, watching the bike launch into the stratosphere right in front of us. Scared the crap outta me. I am SO glad he didnt get hurt, and I am SO glad I make the kids wear their safety gear. Never know what is going to happen. 8 year old wrecked my bike, one foot from my house, at ZERO forward speed. What are the odds? Here's the pics, and the kids in the yellow is the Thumper Killer. My son is sitting in the black shirt.

P.S. Please don't call Child Protective Services on me.

• slepe67

Posted March 02, 2007 - 04:31 PM

oh, I guess I need a new exhaust. Thinking about the PC T-4 Slip on. Before I buy one, can anyone tell me if I really NEED the header? Does it make that much of a difference? Or, is it just one of those cosmetic things? Just wondering thanks again. JL

• CTXr650L

Posted March 03, 2007 - 05:11 AM

omg you have even worse luck than me... i had something similar happen but bike went down on its side and only ripper off the clutch lever and the mirror. oh well, life goes on. we fix em up again and ride off into the sunset :applause:

• rebelventurer

Posted March 03, 2007 - 06:39 AM

Nice sissy bar/back rest. Glad no one was hurt. The header will help with the bottom end torque, the xrs only full stainless system would be my first choice. Which is very similar in design to the slip on you have.

• slepe67

Posted March 03, 2007 - 03:35 PM

hafta check that out thx...JL...oh, woke up and talked to my wife about how my swollen left hand hurt so much. she told me that I never did let go of the left grip. I held onto it the whole time on its upward spiral. I guess that's what kep it from smashing thru my pergola. that hurts....

• Thumpage

Posted March 04, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Now that is a neutral, (pardon the pun) non bike-specific post that can be helpful to us all, :applause:. It reminds us that bike riding can be full of surprises,:lol:. Good post but sorry for the damage. I am glad everyone is o.k..

One drawback for the bike is that you just lost a great megaphone style muffler that is no longer available from White Bros. Those are great. Megaphones are not that common. It is true that XRs Only makes a megaphone muffler also, or at least they used to...

• porterdog

Posted March 04, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Love the roost mark in the grass in this one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted March 04, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Remins me of the time my buddy was at the local ORV in front of a bunch of people. Tried to ride up a 2x6 wood ramp into his lifted truck. Got a little to happy with the throttle & ended up on the hood of his truck (just him, not the bike). Damage was minimal but the crowd went wild!

• slepe67

Posted March 05, 2007 - 01:00 PM

on the HOOD? Actually, I can now see exactly how that happened. I had my 450 come out from under me once, trying to do holeshots. In the grass. Ssshhh. Don't laugh!!!! But that 600 shot up like a ROCKET!!!!

• Thumpage

Posted March 05, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Love the roost mark in the grass in this one!

:lol: :eek: :naughty: :lol: :applause:

• suharianu

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:10 AM

I noticed that metal assembly that connects the rear of subframe (under the rear light) was taken off-mine was taken off by previous owner when rear fender was replaced.this will weaken the subframe and vibration will crack the weld at main frame

• slepe67

Posted March 07, 2007 - 08:16 AM

heard you can buy aluminum replacement, maybe that is for another bike, not sure.

• factorymx

Posted March 07, 2007 - 08:22 AM

take a pic of the header pipes.. as long as its not a 1990 i think u should be good to get a new one. that year mad a wierd header pipe

• slepe67

Posted March 07, 2007 - 02:28 PM

yeah, I think they were the dual pipes? Mine's a 2000 (SINGLE PIPE) I hear they are interchangeable with the 650L???

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.