03 wr450f 5th gear slip

15 replies to this topic
  • wr450rideruk

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:19 PM

hi guys
iv got my engine on the bench ready for the bike strip down for this 5th gear slip problem
only happens in 5th gear when nailing it goes sumat like this pull slip pull slip pull slip ect ect first i thhought it was fuel starvation but is fine in all other gears, i backed thhe clutch off while rideing and made no difrence its fine in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th but click into 5th and the problem is there.
my question is once iv stripped this motor down what am i looking for or will it just be stareing me in the face ? :applause:
if some one has a picture of the part i will be able to find it in the manual and strip down to replace it or could point me in the right direction
some one said it could be 5th an 3rd gear shaft an selector is this right
i will try and take many pictures to maybe help others with this problem in the future
any help on this one would be great on this one guys as iv got an enduro in 2 weeks time and need to get it stripped ,parts orderd, and rebuilt
cheers guys dave

• drzjay400e

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Sounds familiar. I had the prob with 3rd gear. Would be fixed already but I have been waiting two weeks for parts from TT oem:crazy: . But anyways...
3rd and 5th are maited together some how. I had to replace
5th gear wheel
3rd gear wheel
shift forks 1,2, and 3
and I went ahead and replaced the oil pump.
you will need a gasket kit also. after shipping it cost me about 300usd. not including labor at the dealer.

• CaseyWR450

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:30 PM

hi guys
iv got my engine on the bench ready for the bike strip down for this 5th gear slip problem
only happens in 5th gear when nailing it goes sumat like this pull slip pull slip pull slip ect ect first i thhought it was fuel starvation but is fine in all other gears, i backed thhe clutch off while rideing and made no difrence its fine in 1st 2nd 3rd 4th but click into 5th and the problem is there.
my question is once iv stripped this motor down what am i looking for or will it just be stareing me in the face ? :applause:
if some one has a picture of the part i will be able to find it in the manual and strip down to replace it or could point me in the right direction
some one said it could be 5th an 3rd gear shaft an selector is this right
i will try and take many pictures to maybe help others with this problem in the future
any help on this one would be great on this one guys as iv got an enduro in 2 weeks time and need to get it stripped ,parts orderd, and rebuilt
cheers guys dave

Same exact thing wrong with my 03'wr450f. But that sounds like a lot of work and money to fix it. Haven't really even took a look at it cause I ride harescrables and you don't usually have to get into 5th.

• wr450rideruk

Posted March 02, 2007 - 04:12 PM

i dont normaly get into 5th either on enduros but i herd if its not fixed it can do more damage,i was in 2 minds wether to leave it till after the event or before so i thought id best get it done now, but now with the engine on the bench ready to strip in the morning reading what iv found on slow parts im a bit worryed as i realy need to do this event as its a championship event that i need the points grrrr
im just hopeing my dealer can get me the parts fast and not have to wait like the guy still not got parts after 2 weeks,

• msgbean

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Here is a picture of my 3rd and 5th gear and shifting fork out of my 03. Third gear slipped on mine but it requires being locked to fifth gear to work.

3rd gear is on the left, 5th gear on the right. Arrows point to damage.

Posted Image

• wr450rideruk

Posted March 03, 2007 - 11:37 AM

cheers mate, pictures of mine from this afternoon, my selecter fork seems fine tho, no marks on it at all so do i change it or not :applause:
http://images.andale.../3/3/gear_8.jpg
http://images.andale...7/3/3/gear9.jpg

• pops 56

Posted March 04, 2007 - 03:36 AM

Hi wr450rideruk. Have you tried a search for 5th gear problems? Lots of info on the site about it. I am on my second gearbox rebuild. Also you might want to Check this out.http://www.dirtbikew...ead.php?t=21502

• msgbean

Posted March 04, 2007 - 09:04 AM

my selecter fork seems fine tho, no marks on it at all so do i change it or not

If it doesn't appear damaged you should be ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tough Guy

Posted March 04, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Why all the gear box troubles??

I read that Yamaha did some trans work on the 07 WR...does that address the issues that people have had?

Chris

• wr450rideruk

Posted March 04, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Why all the gear box troubles??

I read that Yamaha did some trans work on the 07 WR...does that address the issues that people have had?

Chris

im not sure mate but the more i have read on this problem since mine happend the more it is worrying me on the huge number of problems with 5th and 3rd gear and yet iv never had any problems with it untill now. the work its self isnt a problem to me as i will do it all my self but the price of parts is like sh*t £100 for a full gasket set thats not even the seal kit wich is another £25 :lol: this is with out the parts that have broke wich i suspect yamaha are going to still me there allso , think im looking at about £400 (about $700-$800 i think) and thats doing the job my self. iv had a good look at all the gears and it does seem 3rd was on its way out allso but on both shafts, pinion and gears 3rd and pinion and gears 5th :lol: 4 gears needed
so i think its fix it an sell it and look for a bike with less problems or less expencive problems
thing is i wouldnt even say i ride it hard and has its oils changed every 3 times out from new wich is deffo more than needed ,has it done me any good ....dont look like it. this is deffo a problem with the gearbox that yamaha need to sort out on the new bikes because the more i read the more expencive it gets :applause:

• pops 56

Posted March 04, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Try this link up to 60% off retail good people to deal with. http://www.jp-parts.com/index.html

• thed4ppa

Posted March 05, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Do the 06 bikes get the same trouble as the earlier models?
I was looking at getting an '06 and selling my 04 when its fixed as i have exactley the same fault. The more i read on the WR the more i reckon there best avoided!
I use mine as a supermoto on road and i only did 250 miles before it knackered the gear box. When we stripped it down we could see that it had already been repaired once before and id say that the bike hasnt done much more than a 1000 miles or so total..... 2 gearbox repairs to such low mileage is pathetic.

• wr450rideruk

Posted March 05, 2007 - 03:58 PM

update:
right my new parts have been orderd today with yamaha £377 :lol: thats 5th gear, 3rd gear, 5th pinion, 3rd pinion, selector 2 and 3 (tips were worn on closer inspection)
full engine gasket set £107 , full seal kit £37.50
£377.00
£107.00
£37.50
total excluding oils/filters/fluids ect £521.50 (about $900-$1000 i think)
labour free (im doing it my self :applause: )
so the total here in the uk guys this is what it will cost ya if your doing it your self ,
the good news is ,parts will be here by next tuesday as there coming from holland as its uk`s main yamaha store (aparently:excuseme: )

• drzjay400e

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:23 PM

My problem was not a yamaha problem. At lease, I don't think it was. My wr450 does not have cush drive and that put a big strain on the trans.:applause:

• Blaster21996

Posted March 06, 2007 - 12:29 PM

My problem was not a yamaha problem. At lease, I don't think it was. My wr450 does not have cush drive and that put a big strain on the trans.:applause:

A KTM 450exc is the cause of your problem! Next time, just let him win for cry'n out loud!

• wr450rideruk

Posted March 09, 2007 - 03:24 PM

update
dealer phoned this morning 2 gears pluss selectors have arrived
but :lol: ...........the other 2 gears are on back order
ffs i knew somthing like this would happen yet i was stood next to him when he was on the yamaha dealer internet ordering thing and all parts said in stock when he orderd
when i asked him today when i could expect them he said anything from 1 day to 3 month
as you can imagen im well foooked off right now and the other half is getting it all ,she dernt speak bless her but its her fault...... its allways her fault :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.