450F for trail ride?

20 replies to this topic
  • RR@ARS

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Planning on going riding tomorrow to the socal desert on a trail ride with a friend. I've never ridden my 2007 yz450f on a trail ride, just at the tract and racing GP's.

MY question is do I take my 450F and will it do OK for this type of riding or should I suffer with my DRZ400? SPecifically wondering what the range is on a tank and if it would be a handful on a trail ride.

• WB450

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Planning on going riding tomorrow to the socal desert on a trail ride with a friend. I've never ridden my 2007 yz450f on a trail ride, just at the tract and racing GP's.

MY question is do I take my 450F and will it do OK for this type of riding or should I suffer with my DRZ400? SPecifically wondering what the range is on a tank and if it would be a handful on a trail ride.

Hell no, ride the Yamaha, I do it all of the time. How could you even consider the DRZ?

• kylwk1500

Posted March 02, 2007 - 01:08 PM

your yz is going to do awsome out there on the trails. I had a yz400 set up specifically for trails, and my 06 450 way out performed on the trails in stock form. Just try to ride them a little bit fast. dont creep, and you are going to be very satisfied

• NorCal

Posted March 02, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Good luck blastin' through those whoops on that Tank... I mean DR. :applause:

Leave the DR in the garage and load up the YZ. I ride my YZ in the SoCal desert pretty often. This is an awesome machine for just about any situation. The lightness and suspension alone make it much more enjoyable than a bulky DR.

• mxpro125

Posted March 02, 2007 - 01:52 PM

I ride my '07 on desert trails all the time it does great!

• YZ426F Rider

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:19 PM

YZ all the way

• RR@ARS

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give it a go.

Just wondering about the mileage range on stock tank and stock gearing in the tight stuff.

Any other comments?

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:08 PM

You can more or less count on 30 miles on a stock tank for sure. After that, you'll be stretching a little. I've gone 40 on the stock tank before.

When you say "tight stuff" and "desert" together, I get lost a little, unless you're talking about the upstream ends of some of the washes at Ocotillo Wells, or badlands areas like that.

• RR@ARS

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:10 PM

You can more or less count on 30 miles on a stock tank for sure. After that, you'll be stretching a little. I've gone 40 on the stock tank before.

When you say "tight stuff" and "desert" together, I get lost a little, unless you're talking about the upstream ends of some of the washes at Ocotillo Wells, or badlands areas like that.

Yeah, I guess I'm talking about steep hillclimbs and rocky downhills and tight singletrack stuff.

40 miles should work for me, but 30 wouldn't work at all.:applause:

• skipperlantz

Posted March 02, 2007 - 05:00 PM

That's all I ride with in the woods up here in WA. If your worrid about gas carry extra in a fanny pack. The bike will work fine. I don't think you'll "suffer" on the drz, but your yz will work great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marktm200

Posted March 02, 2007 - 05:09 PM

you guys out on the west coast dont know what tight is. Me and my buddies all ride 450s through super tight single track in the northeast. You shuld be fine as long as your a decent rider

• NorCal

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:36 PM

you guys out on the west coast dont know what tight is.

That is a pretty bold statement. Don't you think?:applause:

• RR@ARS

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I can't wait to ride the thing in the open and on trails! I love this bike at the track (but can barely get it into 4th before I'm on the brakes) and it was a dream racing a GP with it! I'm so use to riding dualsport type trail riding on my DRZ that now having the chance to due an off-road only trail ride (with no street sections) just got me thinking which bike to take.

Can't wait until tomorrow..I feel like I'm getting ready to ride it for the first time again!

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:01 PM

:applause:

you guys out on the west coast dont know what tight is. Me and my buddies all ride 450s through super tight single track in the northeast. You should be fine as long as your a decent rider

I agree, that is a bold statement. Come out here and I'll show you some tight stuff that will impress you.:lol:

• skipperlantz

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:25 PM

That is a pretty bold statement. Don't you think?:applause:

Shoot a beaver:thumbsup: and laugh at the ignorant loud mouth. Jason Raines is from the west and he kicked most everyone's but in the east. Luck I guess. Not! I'm with you Norcal:p

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2007 - 11:31 AM

you guys out on the west coast dont know what tight is.

Spoken like one who has never been here. There are a couple of double black diamond trails at Corral Canyon that the good riders always like to show to people that haven't been there before. For the most part, they ride up to them, look at them, speculate on how they ever got there in the first place, turn around and leave.

• NorCal

Posted March 03, 2007 - 05:32 PM

:applause: I agree, that is a bold statement. Come out here and I'll show you some tight stuff that will impress you.:lol:

Shoot a beaver:thumbsup: and laugh at the ignorant loud mouth. Jason Raines is from the west and he kicked most everyone's but in the east. Luck I guess. Not! I'm with you Norcal:p

Spoken like one who has never been here. There are a couple of double black diamond trails at Corral Canyon that the good riders always like to show to people that haven't been there before. For the most part, they ride up to them, look at them, speculate on how they ever got there in the first place, turn around and leave.

:lol:

• tmauto69

Posted March 03, 2007 - 08:17 PM

according to the trail tech that I had on mine, which was checked against a gps to be real close, I am averaging 25mpg, so at 1.8g you should be maxing at 45miles per tank or real close anyway.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 04, 2007 - 09:33 PM

I can usually get 40 miles out of mine. Plus I usually carry a Gatorade bottle of gas with me too.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted March 06, 2007 - 03:00 PM

My range has been between 40 and 45 -- 50 plus if I'm riding w/ the kids. If you are desert riding at WOT most of the time, you might have to worry about getting to 40.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.