Turn Bars Right - Bike dies.........

12 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I know this will have something to do with the kill switch, but after putting new bars on the bike, when I turn the bars all the way to the right, it kills the bike. The wires to the kill switch have plenty of slack to them..........any ideas??

Also, anyone have issue putting taller bars on and barely having enough throttle cable to reach? I can't really see any other way to route the cables short of running them down the right side of the bike.

• D_F

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:49 AM

I think you might have answered your own question. I would look at your cables. I also put higher bars on and its close. I have to really watch what happens when the tank goes on.

• cleonard

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Take a close look at the wires. They can rub on the frame and eventually it wears all the way through. Now the bare wire can short out to the frame killing the engine.

• Dodger

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:26 AM

I think you might have answered your own question. I would look at your cables. I also put higher bars on and its close. I have to really watch what happens when the tank goes on.

Rilly??? You think that the throttle cables would have something to do with it? If so, why....?? I don't doubt it, since that is the only thing that has really changed from one bar to another, just wondering.

Thx

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Rilly??? You think that the throttle cables would have something to do with it? If so, why....?? I don't doubt it, since that is the only thing that has really changed from one bar to another, just wondering.

Thx

If the slide is not resting on the throttle stop screw (idle screw) but is instead being held open at the idle position by the cable, when you turn the bars the cable may be releasing a small amount, allowing the throttle to close all the way.

Dave

• camoman

Posted March 02, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Try adjusting your cable for Decompresion release....I bet that is your ticket...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Second vote for decompression cable. You likely need to slide the lever in on the bars. This will prevent it from activating.

• creeky

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:59 AM

The manual compression release cable is probably misrouted and is self-activating when you turn the bar. Turn the bar and watch the release lever on the cam cover.

• Tugsy

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Decompression lever...happened to me.

• Dodger

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Aaaha! I haven't check the cable clearance on the decomp. I'll bet that's it too.

Thanks, sometimes I seem to just overlook and underestimate the easiest possibilities.

Thx :applause:

• Thumpage

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:12 PM

XR650R? If so..
I agree with the decompression cable most likely being pulled somewhere along it's route. pulled from the bar end or at the motor.
As far as the throttle cables are concerned, you should not have any trouble with the cables reaching with taller bars as long as the throttle cables are routed (Over) the left tank mount.

• prockish17

Posted March 03, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I have 100% confidence in Decom Cable. This happend to me during a race but I didn't figure it out till I got home. Dumped the bike many times that day, I thought it was me not gassing the clutch.

• antsbrook

Posted March 04, 2007 - 12:12 AM

I Have Replaced Throttle Cables Before And Got Them Trapped Between The Tank And The Frame And Turning The Bars One Way Killed The Engine, Maybe?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.