How to raise bars?

17 replies to this topic
  • UtahMotorcycleAdventures

Posted January 20, 2002 - 08:02 PM

I was thinking of reversing my bar clamps to add height. Do I just order two more OEM clamps and some extra long bolts to do this? Tried to find Thumper Racing's handlebar risers but couldn't locate their site. Thanks.

• The_Missile

Posted January 21, 2002 - 03:12 AM

Here is the web address, I too had problems finding it until I stumbled across it in this forum...<a href="" target="_blank">Thumper Racing
When I phoned they were out of stock.

Reversing the clamps ?? Dunno, depends on the clamps I guess. You could also make/buy/fit a small 'plate' under the clamps and get longer bolts, I see no reason why that would not work. Its what my Scotts came with (Thanks Taffy)

Someone on here has thumper risers, Pro-Tapers, installed with a Scotts (reversed mounted on their universal mount). This is a combo i may try on the future if I can figure out whether I want to drill & tap my bootefull scotts triples.

• jsmith811

Posted January 21, 2002 - 07:10 AM

On the WR250 you can add another set of clamps and get longer bolts., I tried the bar risers they work great and are fairly cheap, but always out of stock, get the 1x1, the 1.5x1.5 is too far forward. I finally just got a New triple clamp and some Pastrana bend bars, which is almost as high as the 1.5x1.5 bar risers. Another cheap route might be to just get some Jimmy Button bend in the standard 7/8 and bolt them on to your stock clamps, they are the highest standard 7/8 bars you can get.

Here is bajadesigns website:

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: jsmith811 ]

• Woodzi

Posted January 21, 2002 - 09:14 AM

I have a drawing of some risers I am having made at a machine shop. They will raise the bars 19mm and move them 33 mm forward. I can e-mail a picture of the drawing to anyone interested in going this route.

• Jim_Bob

Posted January 21, 2002 - 01:03 PM

Go to a wreckers and find some bar clamps off any other old beast and see whether they fit. I bought Yamaha ones and they cost an arm and a leg but found similar ones on an old farm bike (ER 185) which would work. It is a simple but great mod.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted January 21, 2002 - 01:25 PM

Hey Woodzi, yeah please please e-mail me that drawing! I'm in Montreal but you can e-mail me in english if you like. :) ( inside joke for Canadians )

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 21, 2002 - 03:45 PM

I'm the guy with Thumper 1.5" risers, Pro Tapers, Applied TC & Scotts stabilizer...

My digital camera is giving me trouble so it will be a couple of days on the picture thing - I'm trying :)

The problem with stacking bar mounts is that as the mounts get taller they also get closer to you - not what you're looking for. The thumper risers are the ticket - I'm suprised that no one else makes risers that tall.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 21, 2002 - 04:35 PM

Here's what I did to raise mine:

Posted Image

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Rich in Orlando ]

• The_Missile

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:46 AM

Rich in Orlando: that is one of the finest examples of simple ingenuity I have seen in a long time. I'm gonna try me that mod asap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 22, 2002 - 08:17 AM

I took pictures last night and got them on the CD - so I can either e-mail them to anybody interested or somebody can tell me how to post the darn things. I'm not sure how to shrink the file.

• Joel_Gibson

Posted January 22, 2002 - 12:59 PM

Utahmotorcycle adventures.

I just put on a GPR system which required I take off the Thumper Racing Risers. They cost about $90 retail I will sell them for $60. Rode with them twice before purchasing the stabilizer/riser system from GPR.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 22, 2002 - 03:45 PM

If Utah isn't interested I am if they are for ProTapers.

• Joel_Gibson

Posted January 22, 2002 - 06:58 PM

Sorry, they are for standard 7/8 inch.

• slashman

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:35 PM

you guys can try they have higher stand offs and farther foward ones also.

• The_Missile

Posted January 22, 2002 - 10:03 PM

NVR FINISH...check personal mail...

As for putting picture on the web:
1) Your pictures have to have a home somewhere on the web already, you can only link to them with TT.
2)So if you have a home somewhere... go to your picture on the web and copy the web adress (URL) from the adress bar.
3)When posting a message or replying, scroll the screen down and you have some grey buttons. The bottom right button labelled "image" is what you need. Click on the button. It asks for a URL. Paste in the URL of your picture. Click OK.
You'r done. Just post your reply and your picture will appear!

• The_Missile

Posted January 22, 2002 - 10:11 PM

It just occurred to me that for non standard triples like my scotts, if I remember correctly the entire bar clamp (both top and bottom) are 'loose'. So I GUESS I can use the TOP part of my standard 7/8 stock clamp as a spacer UNDERNEATH the bottom part of my ProTaper clamp. Have to check when I get home. May save buying/making some special spacers/risers for ProTapers. Theres nothing like actually using the stuff you have lying around instead of shelling out....I'll let you know.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 25, 2002 - 06:27 PM

If you still have the Thumper risers I may be interested.

Which rise are they - +1" or +1.5"?

• keith

Posted January 26, 2002 - 12:09 AM

i have some of the adapters that let you run a protaper bar , e-mail at they raise the bar a little bit , what are they worth $$? i am not using them, please make offer!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.