Setting sag...spring is spinning

8 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:41 PM

I checked my sag last night and it had increased from 98mm to 105 since breaking in over the past 6 weeks (it's a '06 bought in Jan) which probably explains why the bike has felt a little strange all of a sudden. I figured I needed to drop 7mm which I thought would be about 5 turns (clockwise if looking down on the nut) since I read on here and thought I read in the manual that 1 full turn = 1.5 mm. On my bike 1 full turn must equal about 4mm because it dropped it to 85mm (20mm).

Anyway, I am trying to spin the nut counter clockwise (looking down) to decrease preload and the spring is spinning with the nut. Plus the nut is harder to spin this way then increasing preload which seems strange to me as I'm having to hammer it to loosen it while I could just pry it with a screwdriver to tighten it:excuseme: .

I'm wanting to go to the track but am a little nervous about the spring turning almost as much as the nut. Is there anything to worry about or is this normal. Hopefully I'll get a quick response as I want to head to track and try out the adjustments plus my new windham bend PTs.

Thanks guys!

• Bigcr

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:59 PM

As long as the nut is moving, it's no big deal if the spring turns too. Once you get the right pre-load and tighten up the top castle nut, you're good to go.

• Ranger18

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:14 PM

As long as the nut is moving, it's no big deal if the spring turns too. Once you get the right pre-load and tighten up the top castle nut, you're good to go.

Exactly!!

The reason your sag is different know, might not be because your spring turned. These TI springs take a long time to fully break in. I adjusted my sag 3 times in the first 4 or 5 months I owned the bike, plus I had to readjust agian for the weight that I lost. As long as that top castle nut is tight then your spring should not ever move.

• red7

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Cool, I just wanted to be sure that the spring wasn't somehow in some sort of pocket at the bottom of the shock and I somehow screwed something up. It's kind of strange because I backed it out 2 full turns and checked, then 3 and then close to 4 and it only brought the sag up to about 96 as if all of the original change happened in the first turn. I'm sure that's not the case and maybe it needs to be ridden between each adjustment so that it breaks in to it's new adjustment. I'll go ride it and then check it tonight. 96 maybe even better since this is a tight SX track so I don't really need the high speed stability of a higher sag. I'm too green to probably know the difference of 2 mm anyway but I sure did notice going from 98mm stock to 105mm and was not digging it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:18 PM

Exactly!!

The reason your sag is different know, might not be because your spring turned. These TI springs take a long time to fully break in. I adjusted my sag 3 times in the first 4 or 5 months I owned the bike, plus I had to readjust agian for the weight that I lost. As long as that top castle nut is tight then your spring should not ever move.

Yes, I wasn't thinking the spring spun before I adjusted it as the suspension no doubt broke in. I was just worried when I saw it moving while adjusting it so thanks for setting me at ease guys. Off to the track:ride: !

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:41 PM

Actually, the easy way to turn the adjuster ring faster is to grab the spring and spin it with your hands.

• Ranger18

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Actually, the easy way to turn the adjuster ring faster is to grab the spring and spin it with your hands.

I do it that way as well.:applause:

• CRF150Joe

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:56 PM

yeah he is right. the spring will turn till the spanner nut is loose if you are tightening its only normal for the spring to spin.

• red7

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:02 PM

Ahhh, I will try that next time!:applause:

Man, did that extra 9mm (105-96mm sag) make a huge difference in the plushness of the rear on big landings! I'm going to have to get used to the geometry again though as I must have gotten used to the slouch and it felt like the front end was moving around on me. I'm going to leave it at 96 for now as I know the spring will break in some more and bump the sag up to 98 plus I still have a couple of big triples that I need to learn at the track so the extra suspension will come in handy.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.