2000 Tacoma blown engine!

27 replies to this topic
  • lookatdirt

Posted March 01, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Just got back from the shop and got some bad news. The "Check Engine" light on my 2000 Tacoma came on a couple weeks ago and I finally found time to drop it by the shop. It's been running rough and, even though it's always been a dog, seemed extra "doggie" lately. The shop just called and told me the #1 cylinder has 42 lbs. of compression and that the engine needs a rebuild. The shop is a neighborhood garage where we have always taken our vehicles for tune-ups and minor repairs. I've always liked them and don't get the feeling they are trying to rip me off.

The Tacoma is a 2.7 4X4 with 108,000 miles on the odo and I have always had all the services performed more or less on time. The truck has never been flogged or otherwise beat on, at least while I've had it. I bought the truck used 4 years ago with 48,000 miles on the odo.

Man, I thought these engines were bullet-proof.

Anyhoo, the estimate to have the engine re-built and the truck ready to roll is $4500.00. Is this about right? Should I take it to the dealer and let them look at it? The truck is still driveable, for now.

Toyota mdt tech- what should I do?

The truck is paid for and I don't have the cash for a new one.

• Pozi

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:05 PM

108,000 miles is really early for any significant engine work on any Toyota engine. I have a 94 4Runner that I did the 3.4L conversion from a 98 Tacoma and love it.

Do you do routine maintenance on the vehicle like oil changes, etc? Did the shop tell you what the other cylinders were reading for compression? It would be good to have the check engine code (Pxxxx) that the ECU is throwing that way you can look up for yourself.

Did the shop mention they are going to do a full rebuild on the entire engine? $4500 is a lot of dough to rebuild an engine IMHO. Because I spent just about $3k for my complete 3.4L conversion. If I were you I would (first) do it myself. And if cost is an issue then just rebuild what needs to be rebuilt (ie. pistons, rings, etc.)

Good luck

• lookatdirt

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Yes, all services done as long as I had the truck.

The lowest reading on any of the other cylinders was, I believe, 140.

Doing it myself is out of the question- not only would I be in a little over my head, but I work too much. Maybe if it was a project truck or I had a second vehicle to use. But I need the truck as my daily driver.

How did you do your 3.4 conversion? Did you buy a used engine or what. I guess a used engine is an option.

what did you convert it from?

• cleonard

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:51 PM

$4500 seems a bit high. You should be able to get a remanufactured engine for around $2200. Over $2000 to install it seems like a lot.

Are they sure it is not something simple like a blown head gasket?

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:09 PM

I'd ask around a bit, $4500 to rebuild a 4 cyl motor sounds kinda steep.

Jasper is pretty steep on these motors too, $4800 for a motor alone- http://webapp.jasper...cat/catalog.asp

These guys list a rebuilt motor with warranty (no personal experience with them though) for $3399. http://www.atk-engin...play_engine.cfm

• BlackBuzzard

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:18 PM

For sure get another independent confirmation of engine condition, unless you can do compression check yourself.

THat should not happen with a motor that young and well cared for, but then lightning can strike the unlucky.

I for one believe a large minority of auto mechanics out there are regularly dishonest........(appologies to the honest ones.)

BB

• Hossy

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:30 PM

What is the code do you have? I assume a misfire code? Did they do a wet compression test? These 4cyl are bulletproof, i've never seen one fail. We have parts trucks on them with 300K, trouble free. Take it to the dealer and get another diagnosis. Things do break though. Good luck.

• lookatdirt

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, I guess I'll have to suck it up and get it down to the dealer for thier diagnosis. I know I don't trust the dealer very much. They've tried to rip me off before.

There is just no way I have the time to do it myself or even much time to fiddle-f@#k around with it for too long. I need the vehicle as my daily driver.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• lookatdirt

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:08 PM

Quick question- when I take it to the dealer, should I mention the possibility of a bad #1 cylinder, or just let the dealer tell me what he thinks?

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Quick question- when I take it to the dealer, should I mention the possibility of a bad #1 cylinder, or just let the dealer tell me what he thinks?

Let them come up with their own diagnosis without any pretensions-that way you know the tech is going to check things over a little better. Just tell them what the vehicle's symptoms are, not what you think, or what you have been told the problem is:prof:

That, and make them work for that diagnosis charge.:applause:

• tomb1957

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Just take it in and ask to have it checked out, don't mention that you had it looked at before. I did read somewhere that the newer Toyota 4 cyl engines had design problems with oil getting to the head. The old 22R motor was probably the best motor ever made. I have 153,000 on my 98 Tacoma V6 and it runs like the day I got it.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:49 PM

Just got back from the shop and got some bad news. The "Check Engine" light on my 2000 Tacoma came on a couple weeks ago and I finally found time to drop it by the shop. It's been running rough and, even though it's always been a dog, seemed extra "doggie" lately. The shop just called and told me the #1 cylinder has 42 lbs. of compression and that the engine needs a rebuild. The shop is a neighborhood garage where we have always taken our vehicles for tune-ups and minor repairs. I've always liked them and don't get the feeling they are trying to rip me off.

The Tacoma is a 2.7 4X4 with 108,000 miles on the odo and I have always had all the services performed more or less on time. The truck has never been flogged or otherwise beat on, at least while I've had it. I bought the truck used 4 years ago with 48,000 miles on the odo.

Man, I thought these engines were bullet-proof.

Anyhoo, the estimate to have the engine re-built and the truck ready to roll is $4500.00. Is this about right? Should I take it to the dealer and let them look at it? The truck is still driveable, for now.

Toyota mdt tech- what should I do?

The truck is paid for and I don't have the cash for a new one.

I'd get a second opinion. Unless it was hydrolocked (ran in deep water...etc) I have never seen this. I have seen some burnt valves, but those were only the older 3.0 V6 and the owner just never had them adjusted and they ended up too tight till they burnt. Even if, for the sake of argument, lets say it was a burnt valve, you can do that by just repairing the head. These engines are bullet proof. Get the second opinion. Find out what code. I'd suspect a cylinder missfire from a bad plug wire (just from expereince, and I have been working at the same dealership for 19 yrs and know these things inside and out)

Get it back, get your own compression reading, find out what code it was and report back, or PM me if you like.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Just say "runs poor, and check engine light on"

• KAM1

Posted March 01, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Well I would like too adress Black Buzzard I was raised by techs and you are so wrong ,however everyone makes mistakes ,did they do a complete leak down test ? This will isolate a valve issue or a ring issue , when you take it for a second opion just tell them the symptom , I just fixed a 3.5 dodge that was condemned as a bad motor I fixed it with a computer {PCM}. It runs great now , the tech I am sure did do the compression test it just didnt dawn on him cylinder walls were washed from gas after not fireing.

• GCannon

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I'd get a second opinion. Unless it was hydrolocked (ran in deep water...etc) I have never seen this. I have seen some burnt valves, but those were only the older 3.0 V6 and the owner just never had them adjusted and they ended up too tight till they burnt. Even if, for the sake of argument, lets say it was a burnt valve, you can do that by just repairing the head. These engines are bullet proof. Get the second opinion. Find out what code. I'd suspect a cylinder missfire from a bad plug wire (just from expereince, and I have been working at the same dealership for 19 yrs and know these things inside and out)

Get it back, get your own compression reading, find out what code it was and report back, or PM me if you like.

Now we are getting some where!

Request a Cylinder Leakage Test a simple test where compresed air is forced into the cylinder and the exact (relitivly) cause of the compression loss is found. Ask for the specific results of the test are.

The results of this test will tell you if you have bad valves or a cylinder/piston problem.

Why pay for the whole motor when a cylinder head repair will repair the engine?

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:57 AM

...reading on any of the other cylinders was, I believe, 140....

Even thats suspicious, normal readings for the 2/3RZFE engine is more like 185-200ish. I'm thinking someone is just guessing and short on work.

• GCannon

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:13 PM

Even thats suspicious, normal readings for the 2/3RZFE engine is more like 185-200ish. I'm thinking someone is just guessing and short on work.

I would have to agree that we are a little light on diagnosis and a bit heavy on up sell.

• weatherman64

Posted March 03, 2007 - 01:27 PM

is it burning coolant (smoking white)?

• Octane250F

Posted March 03, 2007 - 01:32 PM

That sounds like an awfull lot of money to rebuild a 4-banger. Id get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion and I would not tell them that you have previously had the truck looked at.

• EF5

Posted March 03, 2007 - 01:33 PM

I am a toyota tech and I have seen them burn the exhaust valves. Take it to a different shop and have them do a leak down test. I have not seen the lower end go on one of these unless it has been over the fenders in water.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.