XR600/XR650L metal vs paper valve cover gasket

7 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:54 AM

I have a Cometic gasket kit for my XR600 and I noticed that the valve cover gasket is a paper/fiber instead of the metal OEM gasket. Is there a downside to the paper gasket? I'm guessing that Honda used metal for dimensional stability.

I'm sure that plenty of people have used the paper type gaskets. Has anyone had them cause a problem.

I already got a Honda head gasket because I didn't like the cometic one. Should I get a honda valve cover gasket too?

• daddyk

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Yes there's a down side.I bought a XR600 with freshly rebuilt motor within about ten hours the paper gasket under the valve cover started seeping and I believe it would have gotten worse. I replaced it with the OEM Honda gasket from Service Honda, about 25 bucks. Haven't had any more problems and don't think I will have any. There's a reason Honda spec'ed the metal gasket there.

• creeky

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:11 PM

You can reuse the old OEM gasket. Clean it thoroughly with lacquer thinner and give it a couple of very light coats of Kopper Kote, let it dry for a few minutes and install. I have also used RTV on an old gasket but I like the Kopper Kote better, less messy.

• cleonard

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:32 PM

You can reuse the old OEM gasket. Clean it thoroughly with lacquer thinner and give it a couple of very light coats of Kopper Kote, let it dry for a few minutes and install. I have also used RTV on an old gasket but I like the Kopper Kote better, less messy.

I've already reused it three times and It's now seeping oil all over even with the RTV method. That's why I was considering using the Cometic one. I was thinking of doing the flate plate lapping of the gasket mating surfaces. Perhaps I'll break down and get a new OEM gasket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted March 01, 2007 - 04:28 PM

Perhaps I'll break down and get a new OEM gasket.

Sounds like a good plan.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:02 AM

If the valve cover holds down the cam, the thickness of the gasket is probably critical.

Dave

• blacktdi

Posted March 02, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Don´t use a paper gasket, it is to thin and you will damage your bearing in the middle. Use the original one.
You can use the old one for two or three times after that buy a nwe one.

• zodran

Posted March 02, 2007 - 02:44 PM

Some light reading for you, this concerns ktm lc4's but applies to hondas as well.:applause:

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=112127

I've reused my steel one twice now, I wouldn't use paper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.