06 YZ 450F Suspension Settings (stock)

12 replies to this topic
  • OrangeCrush

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:54 AM

Anybody out there have any recommendations for sag and clicker settings for a stock 06 YZ450F? I'm determined to ride this thing stock. I weigh 185 lbs w/gear and ride strictly MX. Thanks.

Paul P.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Suspension settings recommended by anyone else are usually not at all useful, because there are too many variables of riding style, speed, soil, track layout, etc.,etc., ad infinitum.

But, start by going about 9 and 9 out on your forks. At the rear, set the HS comp at 2 turns out, the comp at 12 out, and the rebound at 10. Then read this and apply the suggestions:

http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

• Ranger18

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Anybody out there have any recommendations for sag and clicker settings for a stock 06 YZ450F? I'm determined to ride this thing stock. I weigh 185 lbs w/gear and ride strictly MX. Thanks.

Paul P.

I use stock clickers and 98mm sag. On other bikes I've had to adjust all the clickers but this bike works great for me

• OrangeCrush

Posted March 01, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Thanks guys.

• almostinvincible119

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:18 PM

not to steal your thread orange, but gray: Ive herd that if you set your HS compression at 0 the back end wont kick out on you on chopped out faces. I've ridden with and without HS compression, and I will admit that on the jump faces, the 0HS feels more stable, but on the small chop on the ground, the 0HS makes the rear kick around more than a PBR bucking bull...what gives? Thanks

• yzfmerf

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:08 PM

I actually have another 06 question. I used the race tech spring rate calc and find the stock fork spring are pretty much ok but the shock is off by quite a bit. Was the rear end sprung to soft for most? I weigh 215 wothout gear and ride moto although at a fairly slow pace( Vet Amatuer). For the most part i have just been learning to ride again as i have only riden the bike about 2 hours, now i want to start dialing it in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:57 AM

I actually have another 06 question. I used the race tech spring rate calc and find the stock fork spring are pretty much ok but the shock is off by quite a bit. Was the rear end sprung to soft for most? I weigh 215 wothout gear and ride moto although at a fairly slow pace( Vet Amatuer). For the most part i have just been learning to ride again as i have only riden the bike about 2 hours, now i want to start dialing it in.

You're about 30-35lbs over for the stock spring. I would kick the front and back up a spring rate or two. Even though the calculator might say the front is ok, trust me yamaha wouldn't design the front of the bike for a 200lb rider and the rear for a 180lb rider. PS not trying to sound like a :applause: , just trying to make a point.
:applause:

• yzfmerf

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:01 PM

That is actually my point. It makes no sense to have such different recommended spring rates. Is there another tool out there other than the race tech one?

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Yes, there is:

http://www.mx-tech.c...pring_generator

Note that they want your weight WITH gear for this one.

• yzfmerf

Posted March 03, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks, believe it or not it said fork springs were ok, shock needed to go one rate stiffer. How about some real world opinions.

• Ranger18

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:20 AM

Like I said earlier, If you go one higher in the back then I would go one higher in the front. I guess the only way to really know, is by your own feel of the bike, does the front end feel soft, or bottom hard on jumps, then I would go for it. I can't give any real world advise on the yamaha because I lost the weight, but on my old honda I was over, so I jumped up one spring rate, and it made a huge difference. Take it for what it's worth, but if I were you I would make the order today.

• twenty34

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Paul P.

100mm

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2007 - 09:51 PM

For MX, you'll be a lot happier with sag in the range of 95-97mm. Pull the forks up in the clamps to the first scribed line, too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.