Broken Front Brake Caliper Mounting Bracket!

9 replies to this topic
  • BestNThDez

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:51 AM

I did a search for the following to no avail.

Does anybody know if there is a company out there that makes replacement front brake caliper carrier mounts for a 2007 YZ450F? Or does anybody have a stock one for sale? This is the aluminum mounting bracket that bolts to the bottom of the left fork tube that the front brake caliper then attatches to. I broke mine yesterday after hitting a rock and Yamaha doesn't sell this piece by itself, you have to buy the whole front brake caliper assembly. I know that several companies make this piece to go along with their oversized front brake rotor kits, but I'm trying to find someone that makes the stock one and sells it by itself. This piece is definately the weak link on the YZ's front braking system, as I know several people that has broken this piece. Thanks for your time!

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:24 AM

well dude I might be able to hook you up... I bought an oversized rotor from EBC and i replaced that mount with a bigger one- I'm not one to give away my stock parts though b/c if something happens i like to have a back up - if you can't find one anywhere else make me an offer.

• BestNThDez

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:18 PM

How do you like your EBC oversize kit? I was actually thinking about doing exactly what you did, that is, getting an oversize kit. That's the dumbest thing that I'ver heard of, the fact that you can't buy just the caliper carrier piece. I can understand you wanting to keep your stock bracket, but I sure would like to buy it. I really have no clue what it's worth! $20? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Yeah you know it's a really vaulnerable piece too - i would think all shops would carry that...? I'm loving the oversized kit - i make up a lot of time going into corners and it helps on the starts b/c i can stay on the gas that much longer and still make the turn.

I don't know what it's worth either :applause: but I know that upon further thought I'm thinkingit would be a good idea to keep it for a backup just in case - now if you for some reason can't get the EBC kit - let me know and maybe I'll take the risk and help you out. If your thinnking of getting the EBC I'd say go for it!

• BestNThDez

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:09 AM

I found a couple of complete brake caliper kits on E-Bay that include that bracket for a starting bid of $10, with no bids on them yet. I'm just going to bid one of those, So hopefully everything will work out. If not, I'll get a hold of you. My only hesitation on the oversize kit is from what my buddy Russ Pearson told me, that he didn't like the feel of it (oversize kit) because it was too "grabby" and he didn't feel that he was able to use the brake feathering capability that he likes with the stock size. He's actually who I was riding with when I broke mine, the other day on one of his enduro loops, so I actually owe him the replacement part since he loaned me one of his to get my bike going again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:45 AM

My only hesitation on the oversize kit is from what my buddy Russ Pearson told me, that he didn't like the feel of it (oversize kit) because it was too "grabby" and he didn't feel that he was able to use the brake feathering capability that he likes with the stock size.

I agree with that. If I was running TT racing, it might be different, but I like the linear progression of braking force I get with the stock YZF front brake. It will lock the front wheel, but you have to try to.

• JJHayesIII

Posted May 24, 2007 - 12:41 PM

anyone come up with another solution to this yet? eBay prices seem to be a bit steep right about now....

• pace

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I just broke mine at the races today ('06 YZ450F). Another rider went down in front of me, and my caliper impacted her bike and broke the carrier at the bottom mounting hole.

I was rather shocked when I showed up at one of the Yamaha dealer rigs and they informed me that I'll have to buy a complete front brake caliper.

• JJHayesIII

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:50 PM

I just broke mine at the races today ('06 YZ450F). Another rider went down in front of me, and my caliper impacted her bike and broke the carrier at the bottom mounting hole.

I was rather shocked when I showed up at one of the Yamaha dealer rigs and they informed me that I'll have to buy a complete front brake caliper.

exactly what I ended up doing....it was only $50 or so, but seriously....

• RCannon

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Honda (and maybe Suzuki) sell all of the brake parts without going to the entire assembly. I have never measured, but it may possibly fit the Yamaha. The caliper portion is the same and holds the same brake pad. I would take some measurements before I ordered a new assembly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.