Which gas to use????

12 replies to this topic
  • toofast2

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:45 AM

Hi, new to forum,just got an '06' YZF 450,and was looking at shop manual,and
it says to use 95 octane?,,,the highest octane I've seen is 93,so what do you
guys use in your yzf??,do you mix unleaded 100 0ctane aviation gas? or Cam2?,or similar gas?,or is the 93 octane found in most gas stations OK? THX ED

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:41 AM

The figure in the manual is quoted as Research Octane Number (RON). That testing method produces higher numbers than the much tougher Motor Octane Number (MON) method. A fuel with an MON of 86/87 would be equivalent to a fuel with an RON of 95.

Gasolines sold in the U.S. are rated by an average of the two. You see this on the gas pump as "R+M/2". By this method, anything over about 91 is a high enough octane number to prevent detonation, and will work fine in your YZF.

Never use AvGas. The vapor rates are completely wrong for motorcycles, and it's just the wrong fuel.

• 642MX

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I agree with Gray. As long as your motor has stock compression, 91 or 93 will work fine.

• WebbDogg

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:00 AM

good question and good info. I was about to ask this as I am getting my 06 out for the first time this weekend. I was pretty sure anything other than "regular" would work but I don't have a problem putting 91 or 93 in it.

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:21 AM

I've been using 93 - 91 whatever I can find in my 07. Is there any benefit to running a higher octane - 110 say? I know back in the days of 2-strokes lol we'd run a 50/50 mix of 110 racegas Cam 2 and 93....

How would this affect the thumper - is there going to be more buildup?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:25 AM

i've been running 4 gallons premium (93 usually) with 1 gallon of toluene (80/20 mix) i started doing this last yr after hearing from several other racers that do it. toluene is in gas to start with but has been gradually reduced over the yrs so its just putting back what the greenies have taken away. i'm not sure if it adds any HP but since i started using it it seems to run smoother. and it works really well with my new edelbrock carb:thumbsup: whats the deal on toluene gray.....good/bad/ugly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Toluene has been used successfully by a lot of people. It boosts octane, which you don't need, and is claimed to add some undocumented amount of power. It's cheap, and easy to get. Should be rejetted for.

I don't use it, because I'm happy with the power the bike makes already, and it seems like an unnecessary layer of complication.

But if your local fuel really sucks, it's a low cost way to improve it. 10-20%.

• flintlock28

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I've been using 93 - 91 whatever I can find in my 07. Is there any benefit to running a higher octane - 110 say? I know back in the days of 2-strokes lol we'd run a 50/50 mix of 110 racegas Cam 2 and 93....

How would this affect the thumper - is there going to be more buildup?

No, don't use 110 or so. MXA magazine actually got better horsepower figures using 91 or 92 octane, compared to using 100 or more octane. There's more to it than that....but either use 91-93 pump gas, or if you got deep pockets you could use the new Vp racing fuel 4.1
I believe 4.1 is suppossed to yield about 8% more H.P. than pump gas. Of course I think the VP runs about $ 10 or so a gallon, so it's gonna cost you.

• stoney55

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:13 AM

The figure in the manual is quoted as Research Octane Number (RON). That testing method produces higher numbers than the much tougher Motor Octane Number (MON) method. A fuel with an MON of 86/87 would be equivalent to a fuel with an RON of 95.

Gasolines sold in the U.S. are rated by an average of the two. You see this on the gas pump as "R+M/2". By this method, anything over about 91 is a high enough octane number to prevent detonation, and will work fine in your YZF.

Never use AvGas. The vapor rates are completely wrong for motorcycles, and it's just the wrong fuel.

obviously you don't work for the oil company, so maybe the middle grade is ok instead of buying the premium? with 4 bikes that would save me some $$. I remember a dealer telling me to run regular but I still buy premium however what you said makes sense.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:25 AM

It all centers on one question: "what is the minimum octane requirement of the engine?" Once you have a fuel with a high enough octane so that the engine does not detonate (pinging under a load is the first sign), you have enough octane, and any more than that is a simple waste of money. If it works, use a lower grade if you want. Where I live, the difference is only $.20/gal between regular and premium, so I don't let that bother me. The book says it needs premium, so that's what I run.

There is way more to racing fuels than the octane number, so don't anyone start with the anecdotes about how some $14/gal 100 octane wonder fuel gave you better performance than pump premium. Of course it will, but so will a racing fuel with an octane number of 92. At least it had better, at that price.

More reading:

http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:54 AM

How awesome is that - i love this site - more information than I could have asked for. thank you.

• toofast2

Posted March 02, 2007 - 05:04 AM

THX, guys,I'll guess I'll stick with 93 sunoco or amoco,great Forum!:applause: ED

• King_Air

Posted March 02, 2007 - 06:23 AM

I have found since all of our bikes are now 4-strokes, that all of my lawn mowers, weed eaters, pressure washers, etc all run great on premium lmao. I have also notice that I have a lot of plastic gas cans around lol.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.