Help! WR-426 oil burn

6 replies to this topic
  • Logi

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:03 AM

I don´t know if this is the right place to post, but here it goes...
I bought a 2001 model Yamaha WR-426 about a year ago, and the 5th gear didn´t work so I took it to a shop to get it fixed. The guy who "repaired" the bike said it would be good to change the piston at the same time, and so he did. But after I got the bike back it was burning way to much oil (about 1 liter oil per 10 liter petrol), and has a blue smoke out of the exhaust. I don´t know what it is wrong with it, so I wanted to know if anybody has any clue what is going on.

Thank you all for good forum.
Logi H.

• ESC

Posted March 01, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Sounds like he botched the job.

• TuningFork426

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:33 PM

you might need rings. I hope he replaced them.

another thing that will make blue smoke is when your valves are out of adjustment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ausgeflippt13

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:26 AM

You will also get blue smoke immediately after replacing piston/rings due to them "settling" in. Also, oil is rubbed on the inside of the cylinder upon installation.

Now, if it's smoking for more than, oh, say, 30 min, then something's wrong. Get your money back or sue in small claims court :applause:

Posted March 02, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Sounds like maybe he put the rings in the wrong way or put the gaps together.I would take it back to him and say fix it the right way please.

• xr250ryder

Posted March 04, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Sounds like your valves might be out of adjustment, check them before you do anything else.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted March 05, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Valve seals are shot, bet there still OEM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.