liquid under stator cover....

1 reply to this topic
  • mattymurn

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

new to me 2005 Xr650r

I took the stator cover off today to rewind the stator.
When I removed the cover some liquid drained from the space where the stator is housed. Some of it was clear like water, but some was a milky light brown color ... I thought the inside of the stator was supposed to be dry ???. I also drained the oil, it looked fine, no discoloration
or evidence of coolant. should I be concerned...

There was not alot of liquid, 2-3 tablespoons

thanks

matthew

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted March 01, 2007 - 12:16 AM

It's not uncommon to have some oil inside the stator housing-usually caused by overfilling the oil at some point. Water is no big surprise either as the seal around where the wires exit ain't the best. The brown milky appearance is likely due to water & oil mixing inside the cover due to agitation. Just get it good & dry before reassembly, use a new gasket & some decent silicone around the wires to minimize the chances of it happening again. That and make sure to follow the oil level check in the manual to the letter to prevent overfilling. Good luck with the rewind. Did mine myself and have been very happy with the results.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.