Trail Tech speed sensor mounting 600/650L

16 replies to this topic
  • Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Ok, I've read through the posts and it seems there is problems that people are having with mounting the speed sensor to the caliper mount. If you mount it like the instructions say, there is not enough clearance between the caliper mount and the fork. Has anyone figured this out yet? :applause:

I'm working on it now and will post pics if I can figure out a way to mount it but if you have already done it, please post your info with pics.

• trxxr

Posted February 28, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I saw in another forum a guy had cut a notch in the bracket for clearance and installed it then. I just left mine off for now my speedo does work. Let us know if you find a spot. How did the temp sesor go?

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted February 28, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Ok, I've read through the posts and it seems there is problems that people are having with mounting the speed sensor to the caliper mount. If you mount it like the instructions say, there is not enough clearance between the caliper mount and the fork. Has anyone figured this out yet? :applause:

I'm working on it now and will post pics if I can figure out a way to mount it but if you have already done it, please post your info with pics.

Yes, I have mine mounted like that and it doesn't read correctly. It was hard at first to know how far I was off since this is my first bike, I just knew that the speedo reading 115, it wasn't possible. Today, I went out for about an hour, this time I had a GPS with me. The Trail Tech, once I'm at speed, is reading a good 30-40 mph faster than my actual speed. That 115 is actually about 75 mph.

There was a discussion on the e-mail list awhile back about this, but I don't remember specifics. I would like to get the Trail Tech reading right so I don't have to rely on the GPS all the time.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Ok, I got it! The pictures didn't turn out but the way to install it is to cut about 1/8" off the upper part of the mounting flange (the piece with the mounting hole). This moves the sensor up just enough to give you the room you need to clear the fork tube. Does that make sense?

I haven't gotten to the temp sensor mount yet but one of the rocker pivot bolts is looking pretty good!

Black Mesa....it sounds like you just need to adjust your wheel size in the computer itself. Did you measure the diameter of the front tire and do the calculation yet?

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted February 28, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Ok, I got it! The pictures didn't turn out but the way to install it is to cut about 1/8" off the upper part of the mounting flange (the piece with the mounting hole). This moves the sensor up just enough to give you the room you need to clear the fork tube. Does that make sense?

I haven't gotten to the temp sensor mount yet but one of the rocker pivot bolts is looking pretty good!

Black Mesa....it sounds like you just need to adjust your wheel size in the computer itself. Did you measure the diameter of the front tire and do the calculation yet?

Yup, put in the proper numbers and everything and no dice..............:applause:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 01, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Make sure that the magnet passes the sensor on either end and not in the center.

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:27 AM

Jeff,

Are you removing the OEM speedo, idiot lights, etc. and replacing with a trail tech?

Is your goal to shed weight off the front end? If so what aftermarket light/enduro plate do you plan to replace the OEM speedo with?

Later this Spring I'm going to pick up a 650L for dual sport adventures and will want to put it on a diet right away.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:43 AM

My bike is an XR600 so I didn't have all that stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Black Mesa Offroad

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:58 AM

Make sure that the magnet passes the sensor on either end and not in the center.

The magnet actually passes below the sensor.

• tomb1957

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Black Mesa Offroad, I see your location as Liberia. I actually have done some riding there. Mano River and around the outskirts of Monrovia. This was back in the 74-75. I actually left a Hodaka and Honda XL250 when I came back to the states. This was long before the trouble started and it was a great place back then.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:10 PM

The magnet actually passes below the sensor.

If its below the sensor then that is your problem. It needs to pass the sensor at the 1/3 or 3/3 section of the sensor.

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:23 AM

My bike is an XR600 so I didn't have all that stuff.

Oh ok. I thought I saw you post somewhere that you where that you were riding a 650L now that you got rid of the coolest transalp in the world...

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 02, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Oh ok. I thought I saw you post somewhere that you where that you were riding a 650L now that you got rid of the coolest transalp in the world...

Ahhh man....had to remind me of that didn't ya. I really miss that bike!

• xrltim

Posted March 02, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Okay, here's the lesson on the speed sensor. It is driven by a magnet that you mount on the rotor and you don't want it to pass directly through the center of the pickup. (the part that goes on the fork leg) You want it to pass by off center either direction. ( it doesn't matter which direction ) I've had good luck on two XR's putting it at the bottom of the fork leg on the brake disk side. There is a casting feature there with space for a 1/8" hole. I've used self tapping screws or wood screws in the aluminum with a drop of lock tite. Use the magnetic bolt in one of the brake rotor slots that will let the magnet pass at one end or the other of the sensor. You MUST have the correct number programmed into the computer for the wheel circumference or it won't be right. I've always measured the travel of the wheel rather than rely on the numbers they give you in the table that comes with the instructions. It's the same as a bicycle computer just heavier duty wire/sensors. Run the wiring up along your brake line giving it room to move at the top at least 11" for you suspension travel. If you run a plastic disk guard it will greatly increase the life expectancy of your sensor as the spot I'm suggesting is right at the bottom of the fork leg. You'll see what I mean when you take a good close look at the setup. Good luck, you'll love the computer features.

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 13, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Ahhh man....had to remind me of that didn't ya. I really miss that bike!

HaH, but I bet somebody from one of the boards you frequent reminds you of it at least once a day.

Seriously, though. I have to know. What were you thinking? :applause:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Actually it sold on Ebay and I've never seen it on any boards since. I didn't want too but I needed the money.

• kelleyseiler

Posted March 13, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Here is my sensor mount I did today. It works Great!
Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.