Powerbomb vs. Megabomb

14 replies to this topic
  • dimeslime327

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I was wondering if anyone has done back-to-back comparisons between the FMF Powerbomb and the FMF Megabomb on the 2007 CRF250R. Which one has the most performance gains? Which one is the best bang for your buck?

Also, has anyone had problems burning holes in the right leg of their pants from the Mega bomb? I have with the Powerbomb on my '04, and seeing as to how much bigger the Megabomb is, it has me curious.

• Honda_250f_rider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:22 PM

The megabomb has a larger performance gain than the powerbomb, FMF claims a 3-5 HP increase, the down side is that it is only offered in Titanium so it is more expensive.

dimeslime327 - how much of a performance gain did you get from the powerbomb on your 04? w/ the stock exhaust.

I would like to also see some opinions from people that have tried both of them, b/c those header pipes are something that I might be concidering.

• weatherman64

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:27 PM

no way 3-5... probably 1... if youre lucky

• Honda_250f_rider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Copied right off of fmf's website

Derived from our innovative PowerBomb™ technology, the MegaBomb™ represents the natural evolution of our philosophy on performance – improve on it, make it better. What started as a PowerBomb™ just kept growing. Simply put, the bigger we made it, the better it worked. The engineering wasn’t that simple, we had to fine tune the internal characteristics and there was an upper limit to what was feasible for performance as well as function, but through arduous testing, here you have it! The very same header you’ve seen on the Factory KTM and Yamaha of Troy bikes as well as Team Suzuki Off-Road and that of Ryan Hughes. This is not ‘Un-obtainium’. The MegaBomb™ ships right out of our warehouse to you just as it would to any race team or magazine.

What makes a MegaBomb™ so different? There are two key aspects. First, the more exhaust gases that are extracted, the better. Like the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose – except, too much is not good. The calculated size of the MegaBomb™ chamber, with the precise location and size of internal ducts, makes for increased volume. The second aspect is the performance difference between a short header, better over-rev, and a long header, better low-end torque. With the MegaBomb™, you get the best of both. The added volume acts like a long header and the length has not been increased.

Here’s the bottom line. You want better performance. You can pay an engine builder thousands to make more power or bolt on a MegaBomb™ for more useable power from the stock motor as well as a 3-5hp boost! Take your pick. As an added benefit, you will also have a lower sound output by up to 1.5dB.

For three hundred and fifty bucks, the answer is obvious. Choose FMF and FEEL THE POWER!

http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=264

* Well with Sound Restricting Mufflers
* Effectively Reduces Sound Output by as much as 1.5dB
* Less Susceptible to Damage than a Long Header
* Produces Low End of a Long Header and Top End of a Short Header
* Improved Bottom to Mid-Range Power
* Exclusive Ti-Metal Construction

• mxmatt15

Posted February 28, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I would get the powebomb cause the magbomb looks like clooged up, Idk it just looks weird

• weatherman64

Posted February 28, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Copied right off of fmf's website

Derived from our innovative PowerBomb™ technology, the MegaBomb™ represents the natural evolution of our philosophy on performance – improve on it, make it better. What started as a PowerBomb™ just kept growing. Simply put, the bigger we made it, the better it worked. The engineering wasn’t that simple, we had to fine tune the internal characteristics and there was an upper limit to what was feasible for performance as well as function, but through arduous testing, here you have it! The very same header you’ve seen on the Factory KTM and Yamaha of Troy bikes as well as Team Suzuki Off-Road and that of Ryan Hughes. This is not ‘Un-obtainium’. The MegaBomb™ ships right out of our warehouse to you just as it would to any race team or magazine.

What makes a MegaBomb™ so different? There are two key aspects. First, the more exhaust gases that are extracted, the better. Like the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose – except, too much is not good. The calculated size of the MegaBomb™ chamber, with the precise location and size of internal ducts, makes for increased volume. The second aspect is the performance difference between a short header, better over-rev, and a long header, better low-end torque. With the MegaBomb™, you get the best of both. The added volume acts like a long header and the length has not been increased.

Here’s the bottom line. You want better performance. You can pay an engine builder thousands to make more power or bolt on a MegaBomb™ for more useable power from the stock motor as well as a 3-5hp boost! Take your pick. As an added benefit, you will also have a lower sound output by up to 1.5dB.

For three hundred and fifty bucks, the answer is obvious. Choose FMF and FEEL THE POWER!

http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=264

* Well with Sound Restricting Mufflers
* Effectively Reduces Sound Output by as much as 1.5dB
* Less Susceptible to Damage than a Long Header
* Produces Low End of a Long Header and Top End of a Short Header
* Improved Bottom to Mid-Range Power
* Exclusive Ti-Metal Construction

you're kidding, right?

• Honda_250f_rider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 06:04 PM

you're kidding, right?

Thats what FMF claims, I would like to see someone trying one and reporting about how good they actually are.

This is their site: http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=264

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryno625

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:02 PM

i have run both back to back on my 05 crf 250r when i was still riding that, and have a megabomb on my 06. IMO the powerbomb has a little harder hit, less power pretty much everywhere than the megabomb, most riders probably wouldnt notice, but im pretty picky on my setups. the megabomb offers smoother power right off bottom making it feel slower and pulls nicely all the way through. IMO megabomb is the way to go :applause:

• dimeslime327

Posted March 01, 2007 - 08:33 PM

The megabomb has a larger performance gain than the powerbomb, FMF claims a 3-5 HP increase, the down side is that it is only offered in Titanium so it is more expensive.

dimeslime327 - how much of a performance gain did you get from the powerbomb on your 04? w/ the stock exhaust.

I would like to also see some opinions from people that have tried both of them, b/c those header pipes are something that I might be concidering.

The header and end parts of my stock exhaust were bent, so I went straight from a full stock exhaust to a full fmf system. My fmf setup is Powerbomb, SS midpipe, Factory 4 slip on (old style end caps, bought 2 years ago, dont know if there's much difference between old factory 4 and new)

this setup gave it a stronger hit off bottom, and pulled better out of turns. It also revved a little higher and with more power on the top end I felt.

• GYTRthumper623

Posted March 01, 2007 - 08:46 PM

The very same header you’ve seen on the Factory KTM and Yamaha of Troy bikes as well as Team Suzuki Off-Road and that of Ryan Hughes. This is not ‘Un-obtainium’. The MegaBomb™ ships right out of our warehouse to you just as it would to any race team or magazine.

LOL thats bs, i read on TWMX that the YOT bikes run custom built megabomb headers to fit the motor mods they have in their bikes... we dont get the same header as they do... :applause:

All i know is megabomb is supposed to be more of an increases over the powerband header and an powerbomb is when you want a hard hitting header :applause:

• mightymike

Posted March 02, 2007 - 07:54 AM

I would get the powebomb cause the magbomb looks like clooged up, Idk it just looks weird

cant go just by looks, what about performance?

i doubt theres too much difference, BUT the megabomb would be a little better.

• martin truszkowski

Posted March 02, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I also have tried both on my 307cc motor,the mega bomb is the better of the 2 headers,it makes better low end than the power bomb and is much smoother in its power delivery,it does not make an extra 3-5 bhp more like 1.5 on a big motor its a great front pipe.Martin.:applause:

• hawncase

Posted March 03, 2007 - 12:41 AM

I have to ask...does the megabomb work with the stock silencers?

• motoxerc0

Posted March 03, 2007 - 05:42 AM

ok heres the deal im looking at either the powerbomb or megabomb. i already have dual 4.1 slipons (got them for free from a sponsor) with the powerbomb or megabomb should i expect a power gain or will it not be as good unless i have fmf's y mid pipe 2?? just wondering

• Twist1

Posted March 03, 2007 - 05:25 PM

We have both and unless your very in tune with your bike you will probably never know the difference. The mega bomb appears to start off the bottom more and continues through out about 3/4 of the bike's power range. When I used the powerbomb it appeared to start a little slower but had a smoother deliver and seemed to pull through the end. We tried testing the same day so that the track conditions were close. Hope this helps.:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF 250R 2012 THE ULTIMATE TOUGH TEST by dirty897

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 13 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF250R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250R 2015
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by Flarff
  • On October 04, 2014
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • Hot  55 replies
Wiki
Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com - last post by Fastheads (BK)

Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.