Which Way Does an RR Stainless Oil Filter Go In?

9 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted February 28, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I just put in my new Ready Racing Stainless Steel Oil filter in my 1999 yz400f.

It has a rubber gasket on one side, and a small metal ball semi pertruding on the other end. Which end goes where? The last thing I want to do is seize my engine because I put my oil filter in the wrong way...:applause:

I put the end with the gasket (Open end also) towards the cylinder because I assume that's how the oil get's back into the engine...Is this right?

• yz426em

Posted February 28, 2007 - 01:32 PM

From what i believe the open end goes toward the oil filter cover. My reasoning on that is the stock oil filter cover on my 450 has a extended piece coming off the cover so the filter will only fit one way.

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ready re-engineered a fool-proof setup so that people could put their filter in backwards. :applause:

As mentioned above, the OEM cover has a stub coming out of it to prevent assembly over a reversed filter. Why would this matter? Because installing the filter backward will cut off the oil flow to the engine. That's all.

The hole in the end of the filter goes out, toward the cover.

• Markopolo400

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:18 PM

Ready re-engineered a fool-proof setup so that people could put their filter in backwards. :applause:

As mentioned above, the OEM cover has a stub coming out of it to prevent assembly over a reversed filter. Why would this matter? Because installing the filter backward will cut off the oil flow to the engine. That's all.

The hole in the end of the filter goes out, toward the cover.

Tell me about it, I debated for a while about which way it went in, then I decided to check with TT before filling it with oil.

What I don't get is where the oil flows back into the engine? I know it goes from the out side to the inside of the filter because that's where all the little metal particles end up, but where does the oil actually enter back into the engine? I thought it was the part by the cylinder, but I couldn't see any oil passage on that side...So I don't know now.

Thanks guys. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:43 PM

What I don't get is where the oil flows back into the engine?

It flows from the inside of the filter into the center of the cover, where there are two passages branching off the center. These flow back into the right engine cover next two the rear two oil filter cover bolts. The lower one of these runs down to a cavity into which the crank protrudes, and feed oil to the rod bearing. The mains and cylinder wall are fed by splash. The upper passage goes as far as the bolt-on external oil pipe. That feed oil to the head (cams, etc.) and to a passage in the crankcase that drills over to the transmission shafts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:57 PM

It flows from the inside of the filter into the center of the cover.

I am going to assume that you meant outside?

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:46 AM

No. The oil flows from pump into the filter well, around the outside of the filter, through the filter media to the inside of the filter. From there it flows as I said exactly.

• Markopolo400

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:45 PM

No. The oil flows from pump into the filter well, around the outside of the filter, through the filter media to the inside of the filter. From there it flows as I said exactly.

I thought that you meant it started in the inside of the filter. Thanks again Gray.

• moontana

Posted March 08, 2007 - 08:56 PM

I have a 06 yz450f and also have a ss ready racing filter and I put the open end the end that has the rubber grommet on it toward the piston which means the solid end is facing away from the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2007 - 08:58 AM

That's backward. Fix it before you blow the bike up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.