What to do

2 replies to this topic
  • O and S

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:12 PM

I"ve been researching the various 450 out there. I'm not loyal in a fanatical kind of way to any brand. My last ride was an 03 CRF-450. I wasn't unhappy but I wasn't overly impressed either! I like the Yamahammer but I've worked on my budies 06-450 and found it difficult to jet. The sub frame and shock had to be removed. I can deal with that because once dialed thats not an issue. I'm 6'3" and go about 230 lbs with gear, water, etc. I like a good low end grunt if you larger guy's know what I mean? I also like a taller seat to peg height. I haven't ridden one of these units so how to they stack up? I'm a desert and GP racer and trail ride. Are these things as reliable as they use to be. My 99 400 was indestructable. The other site here on TT are all talking about all the problems they have with there rides. This site is mostly rave reviews. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:50 PM

If you like a good low end hit, then the stock yamaha isn't your bike. You probably need a kawi, or an 05 crf. However if you pick up a full system exhaust that is made for low/mid power, and do some carb mods to increase response then the yamaha is in your league. They are still very reliable, and they handle great. I'm 6-3 185 and I like the ergo's of the bike minus the bars that I switched to the windham bends. You will probably want a tall seat the bars, and maybe the lowered pegs if you feel you need all that room. Personally I don't think there is a better bike on the market for me, but everybodies different. Also at your weight you will need to respring, but that goes the same for all bikes. The yamaha still has a very plush suspension that doesn't beat the crap out of you like the 03 crf. (I know I had an 02crf)

• kyle450rider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I"ve been researching the various 450 out there. I'm not loyal in a fanatical kind of way to any brand. My last ride was an 03 CRF-450. I wasn't unhappy but I wasn't overly impressed either! I like the Yamahammer but I've worked on my budies 06-450 and found it difficult to jet. The sub frame and shock had to be removed. I can deal with that because once dialed thats not an issue. I'm 6'3" and go about 230 lbs with gear, water, etc. I like a good low end grunt if you larger guy's know what I mean? I also like a taller seat to peg height. I haven't ridden one of these units so how to they stack up? I'm a desert and GP racer and trail ride. Are these things as reliable as they use to be. My 99 400 was indestructable. The other site here on TT are all talking about all the problems they have with there rides. This site is mostly rave reviews. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

You and i are almost the same size.I previously rode hondas and i decided to purchase a 2007 yamaha 450 and i couldnt be happier.If you talk to a lot of people they will tell you the yamaha doesnt have the lowend that a honda has and i can tell you that from my perspective it doesnt.However its not far off and its something that a slipon exhaust would easily cure.This bike handles exceptionally well and is very roomy even for the big fellas.Power is very smooth,some seem to think its slow but it is sneaky fast.Its so quiet with the stock exhaust on it that it doesnt SOUND like your going as fast as you really are.Most on this board have rejetted with a 170 main and anywhere from a 45-50 pilot that is the sweet spot with a little tweak on the fuel screw.I would go and buy another today thats how much i like my scoot!Get one you will love it.:applause: (I wouldnt pay over 6200 OTD for one if you decide to purchase one.GOOD LUCK!)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.