How many miles till synthetic oil?

1 reply to this topic
  • Tom_Vervaeke

Posted January 20, 2002 - 11:19 AM

How many miles on a new engine until I replace the standard dino oil with synthetic?

On street bikes I normally change the oil at 100, 500, and 1000 with regular dino and then every 3K thereafter with Mobil 1 15W50.

My new 02 WR has but 50 miles on it and I did my
first oil change with a good dino. I'd like to go ahead and change the oil again at around 100-150 miles. The oil filter had lots of metal flakes in it at the oil change. I'm going to keep it in a baggie to compare it to the next time I change. I did install a TyRacing mag drain plug as well. It will be interesting to see if it catches any metal. It was able to hold up a 12" crescent wrench!

Due to the high-strung nature of this bike I'm guessing it may be okay to change to synthetic as early as 200+ miles? Any personal data would be appreciated.

Heading out on Monday to get 50-100 miles on the bike down in Pueblo, Colorado. Gonna be in the
50's!

tom

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Tom Vervaeke ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted January 21, 2002 - 06:10 AM

Yamaha says these motors are competition ready after 1 hour of running.
I think these clutches like the change to synth asap to avoid slippage.
I also run a ti plug with a scotts filter.
I always have a lot of metal shmeg on the filter, mostly aluminum detrius.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.